Identification: Fungus on Chokecherry

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by mimmo, Mar 22, 2020.

1. mimmo

mimmo Active Member 10 Years

hi,
    I have 3 chokecherry trees (Prunus virginiana ..I think, photo included) in the backyard, and last year they developed some sort of fungus on some of the branches (attached photos). We live in the Peace so we still have snow but I started cutting all the branches that have visible fungus in the hope that when growth starts, the healthy ones will take over. We had high moisture last year so I'm guessing that's the cause. I would appreciate any help in id of the fungus and suggestions for control. I would hate to lose the trees, although the city did cut their trees down, but they were quite small and less developed than ours. - thanks

Attached Files:

allelopath likes this.
  2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I'm not sure where this belongs, am trying it in the Fungus, Lichens and Slime Molds area, to see if @Frog has anything to say.

3. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

@mimmo & @wcutler - Second photo looks like Apiosporina (Dibotryon) morbosa, black knot of cherry.

4. mimmo

mimmo Active Member 10 Years

Looked it up, sure looks like that's what it is. I'm glad they mention to cut affected branches during winter because that's what I'm doing and they're going in the fire pit :) thank you

Frog likes this.