Araucaria angustifolia Seeds Canada?

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by fromthelake, Nov 8, 2018.

1. fromthelake

fromthelake Member

I am trying to locate some Parana Pine seeds, haven't had any success so far online. I have heard of some successful specimens in my area and would like to try to grow one myself.

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Perhaps it's possible to import the seed from outside Canada. It looks like small quantities are exempt from the need for import documentation. Have a look at the following CFIA document, section K in particular: The ABCs of Seed Importation into Canada - Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

A couple sources for seed:
    By the way, there a place across the border in Washington that sells this plant: THE DESERT NORTHWEST - Online Catalog!

fromthelake likes this.
  3. fromthelake

fromthelake Member

Thanks for the reply, Junglekeeper!

I was able to buy some seeds off of ebay from Germany, I am hoping that due to the small amount it will pass immigration. I had already looked at those two websites you previously mentioned, looks like both are out of stock currently.
    I emailed The Desert Northwest, so hopefully if my ebay seed shipment turns into some trouble, I can try and import them with them.

4. Vilson Boone

Vilson Boone New Member

Have you found seeds?

5. fromthelake

fromthelake Member

Yes, I have. I acquired seeds off of Sheffield's in Nov 2019. I received 15 seeds and had 9 seedlings successfully germinate. I only intent to keep 2 0r 3 or them so let me know if you have room for some seedlings!

6. Rosilene

Rosilene Member

Hi, there! I would love to take on some of your extra seedlings if you still have them. Araucaria angustifolia is my favourite tree!

7. fromthelake

fromthelake Member

Hello! Another Parana Pine lover! Awesome, I am located in Coquitlam as well, near Como Lake. Let me know when you want to some up!

8. Rosilene

Rosilene Member

Awesome! You are almost a neighbour! ...

It is a pity you can't tell the gender until they are fully grown. There is a technology that produces trees from sprouts of existing trees and thus allow you to know the gender. As they have the age of the mother tree, they start to produce in 6 to 10 years, compared to 15+ years in normally grown trees.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2020
  9. Vilson Boone

Vilson Boone New Member

Last summer I planted 6 Araucarias over a mountain here in BC, I still have 1 in my backyard, how know if this is allowed because I'll grow more if this is legal, thanks all!

Attached Files:

Rosilene likes this.
  10. VinnyA

VinnyA New Member

How have the trees you've planted handled the winters? I'm originally from the south of Brazil and the araucaria are my favorite trees. We get some cold weather up in the mountains, as low as -5C or worse, but never as cold as here in Canada. I thought they'd have a hard time surviving.

11. Rosilene

Rosilene Member

How are your trees doing? Have they survived? I'm in BC, near Vancouver, and still have my trees in pots (since 2020). They are going to overwinter indoors again but I would like to move them outside next spring.