Bizarre problem with Juniper trees

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by jpasquini, Feb 25, 2020.

1. jpasquini

jpasquini Active Member 10 Years

Have had this juniper tree for quite awhile (#1). It started off great, but it got spider mites over the summer (I could tell it had them, by dusting the leaves, and some web).
    I treated the tree with Neem oil, and also an insecticide on several occasions. The spider mites are gone.
    However, winter came and the tree browned out. I assumed this was freeze dehydration, and have given it waterings on warm days (Central Illinois, and we've been having freak warm days about 1/3 of the entire winter, highs around 50'f)

Two smaller Junipers I had planted on each side of the porch, also have gotten this flash browning, and I have given them occasional waterings.
    What the heck is going on? The large tree appears to be dying but incredibly slowly. As you can see, there are still green tips, and some green on the inner branches.
    My only hope is this is winter freeze, and it could recover come spring with fertilizer. But I realize that could be just wishful thinking at this point.

Time to give up?

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Think about what they all may have in common. For instance, did they all get sprayed with neem oil?

3. jpasquini

You can't tell me neem oil killed them, aka the cure was worse than the problem.
    Its non-toxic, sold at Lowe's for use on plants spider mites, and I've been using it on citrus trees in pots for years.
    Although I'm going to start using something else on these next year, because using the oil ruins the taste of Kumquats.
    The only thing common about them, is they're all junipers. Although not the same kind.

4. Ron B

5. jpasquini

Well, if that is the root of the problem and nothing else, and it hasn't been sprayed since October and has made it through winter. Then I would assume not spraying it again may lead to a Spring recovery. As I said it did have mites, but I don't see any evidence of them now. I suppose I will hold out and see how things go.

The idea that Neem Oil (sold as a miticide) will treat your plants/trees if it is of one species, or could flat out kill them if it is another..... seems a bit absent on the label. I would think this would have happened to other people in the past, and caused some upset customers. Especially since Neem is toted as a "natural" and "non-toxic" solution. Maybe they should put that in caps on the front?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  6. Ron B

Sorry but in your photos it looks like all three of your trees are dead. The third one did have some green left on the inside at the time of the picture being taken but otherwise when conifers have that much browning they are often on the way out.

7. jpasquini

Well it appears Garden Safe is anything BUT safe. I tried sending in a complaint using their product w/pics on their online website and got a message "Service is currently out of service."
    Their parent company is Schultz, who is owned by the giant Spectrum Brands..... none have contact emails I can find online where I could send pictures.
    They also own:
    Kwikset®, Weiser®, Baldwin®, National Hardware®, Pfister®, Remington®, George Foreman®, Russell Hobbs®, Black+Decker®, Tetra®, Marineland®, GloFish®, Nature’s Miracle®, Dingo®, 8-in-1®, FURminator®, IAMS® and Eukanuba® (Europe only), DreamBone®, SmartBones®, Digest-eeze™, Healthy-Hide®, Littermaid®, Spectracide®, Cutter®, Repel®, Hot Shot®, Black Flag® and Liquid Fence®

I found a number of people online complaining- some vehemently- that the product killed their plants. Including roses.
    This entry in Amazon also says their Neem Oil product can be toxic (assumedly carcinogenic) if sprayed on food, despite the 'safe' in the name. Thank god for the bad taste, or I would have eaten many of the fruits.
    The stuff really smells horrible.
    I guess this is the reality in corporate America these days :/

Toxic, not safe to use around pets or humans

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  8. jpasquini

As for your other comments, I can only quote the Princess Bride:

" It just so happens that your friend here is only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do.
    Inigo Montoya: What's that?
    Miracle Max: Go through his clothes and look for loose change."

ryanskarma likes this.