Why yellowing leaves on Monstera?

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by Kimberly Noble, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Kimberly Noble

Kimberly Noble New Member

2774FCDE-8601-4FAA-979A-03B0084CEF6E.jpeg 805A002A-66CA-464F-8CA9-F020A8A0FECD.jpeg 412F198C-68F7-49B9-9662-71F1E8288EEE.jpeg 95B54C7B-A463-48BF-8CB8-E59C26F90B5B.jpeg DD737477-8443-4501-BEF4-5768D3E2C0A1.jpeg 7D07193E-7189-4A83-8BA9-DA1064529918.jpeg 0ABCC535-25B8-40DB-A794-4C0292EBC73D.jpeg 2774FCDE-8601-4FAA-979A-03B0084CEF6E.jpeg 805A002A-66CA-464F-8CA9-F020A8A0FECD.jpeg 412F198C-68F7-49B9-9662-71F1E8288EEE.jpeg 95B54C7B-A463-48BF-8CB8-E59C26F90B5B.jpeg I have had this Monstera for about 9 months now and it was so healthy at the beginning. Its now winter and I have it in a warm room about 15 feet away from a south facing window. It had it about 2 feet from the window but moved it because the leaves started feeling really stiff and hard so I wasnt sure if it was getting too much sun. I put about a cup of water in it every week and a half and there’s a little bit of fertilizer that I put on it about a week ago. I have no idea if I'm watering too much or not enough or not enough food. Im completely at a loss. I have it in soil mixed with perilite and the roots don't seem to be mushy. Any advice on what could be wrong with my plant dying off? Some leaves are yellow and new baby leaves are browned up in edges before they even open up. I am at loss and soooo upset. I already lost one monstera.

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Welcome to the UBC Forums!

Here is one of many websites that tells how to care for Monstera deliciosa. You've probably checked these out yourself and are in the best position to assess how well you are meeting the conditions this plant needs.

How to Care for Monstera Deliciosa

Based on your photos and description, I think a big part of the problem you are having is inadequate watering. It is important when watering any house plant to water thoroughly so that all the roots are thoroughly wetted. Drain the pot completely right after watering. In the case of Monstera deliciosa, the advice is then to let the soil dry out slightly before watering again. Remember to never fertilize unless the soil is damp. My own belief is that less is often more when it comes to fertilizer, ie. keep an eye on the plant and fertilize only when it seems to lose vigour. Also, never fertilize an ailing plant.

Kimberly Noble likes this.
  3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Apparently, leaf burn occurs when the soil becomes excessively dry which yours appears to be - at least it is not evenly moist. A recommended soil mix can be found near the end of the following document: Monstera deliciosa Liebm., Monstera deliciosa, Exotic Rainforest rare tropical plants.

4. Kimberly Noble

thank you sooo much!!! I thought maybe it was dying because it needed fertilizer. I will give more water and let drain and try to keep moist.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2020
  5. Kimberly Noble

Thank you!!! I will try to water more deeply and keep moist and see how that works!! I will also take out some of the soil and add bark and charcoal and some moss!!

6. Junglekeeper

Please post a followup to let us know whether the change is effective in solving the problem.

7. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

15' from a window is way too far. Floppy leaves bent over at that steep angle to the petiole, not lifting up like a normal Monstera might be way too low light. These do great with several hours a day of direct sun. You see them growing outdoors will full tropical sun for half or 3/4 of a day in Hawaii. The internet is full houseplant guides from people who have grown only one of these, or even none. Most all of the internet advice says they prefer indirect sun. It's just silly when you see the ones outdoors in the tropics. :) The one I have gets 3 hrs full sun smashed up against a Northwest window and is growing really fast in a similar soil to yours. Nothing wrong with your soil for this plant.

Crispy brown edges on new leaves might be that it went thru a too-dry spell at the key moment when the leaf was developing. That's another aspect to all those same incorrect internet guides (they get this plant so wrong). Monstera should never dry out all the way thru the soil, and they are one of the last plants that actually needs free draining soil. If you water often and have good humidity, then a super-coarse super-fast-draining mix like shown at that Exotic Rainforest link works fine, but Monstera really don't need a specialized mix like that. In a mix like yours, I would let the surface dry up to a depth of 1". So maybe 2-3 cups of water once every 7-12 days in Virginia this time of year in that mix if it's getting decent sun. It could be every 3-5 days once you get the giant leaves and a potbound plant. Another cause of crispy brown edges on new growth can be over fertilizing. Definitely zero fertilizer until that plant has a couple of healthy new leaves. With this possible concern, I would deeply flush the plant every month or two for awhile. How is your water? Is it decent, not too hard or high in minerals? Do you have a water softener? Those are poison for plants.

Yellow floppy leaves can also indicate a plant that has been sitting in water, especially when combined with too-low light. Get a tray instead of a double pot (so you can see & empty water at the bottom) until you learn very well how to make sure it never ever sits in water for more than a short time.

8. Kimberly Noble

Great thank you soo much, I will try to do a complete soaking to let water drain and then water every 5-7 days and put back closer to window. I thought some leaves were browning from the sun but when new leaves came up I figured it wasn't the sun. I wont fertilize until shows improvement. After I water I do look inside the pot and drain extra water out so it doesn't sit. Thank you so much for the advice and yes there are so many contradictory statements in the internet... I will keep you posted!

9. Junglekeeper

I suggest you not do this unless you intend to change all of the current medium or you will end up with one that has uneven moisture retention, with areas of varying wetness.

10. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

I agree with Junglekeeper. Also, messing with the soil now could set the plant back significantly, right when it is already fighting for it's life. That's too much stress at once. Your soil is fine. Watering at 5-7 days now may be a little fast right now for that one, make sure the top inch has dried before you water.