Emerald Cedar Hedge beside septic

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Werbo, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Werbo

Werbo New Member

Hi

I would like to plant a cedar privacy hedge along my septic field to match the hedge on the opposite side of the yard. I want to use the most common cedar species. I believe this is know as an emerald cedar or "smaragd."

My question is... How deep is the root system? Would a root barrier be recommended? If yes, any recommendations on a good quality barrier.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If there is a possibility of it rooting into the field then you will definitely want to prevent that - by either excluding it from the field with some kind of barrier or not planting it near the field in the first place. Also if it is relevant 'Smaragd' is unsually drainage sensitive for the species and should not be planting anywhere it is very damp at any time.

3. Werbo

Werbo New Member

I will be putting a barrier in place. Looking for suggestions for a specific product and dimensions to contain the roots.

Need to know the typical depth of the smaragd emerald cedar root system?

4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I agree that it's a good idea to be proactive when planting trees near a septic field but I have to tell you how amazed I am, living in an area where thousands of homes have septic systems, seeing the great numbers of huge trees and shrubs growing adjacent to the fields. Perhaps the fact that the soil is often dry and sandy explains why there aren't problems.

5. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

I don't know much personally about the root system of Thuja, but there is following info on the Net when searching for smaragd root system: The root systems of arborvitae are generally shallow depending on the variety and they may spread to the drip line edges of the branches. The major root depth of a large arborvitae variety can reach 18-24 inches deep, while roots of a smaller variety such as Emerald Green, reach 8 inches deep.
    smaragd root system - Google Search

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Most woody plants in particular root well beyond the branch spread. Rooting depth of any particular kind will vary with soil conditions.

7. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

I agree that roots depth and spread is determined to some degree by soil conditions, but depends mostly on the kind of the tree. Arborvitaes have in general shallow roots.
    Taking everything into account, to be on perfectly safe side you could put a 2 ft deep barrier at the distance 4 ft from the trunk.

8. Werbo

Werbo New Member

Thank you. Ok. What barrier product would you recommend and from what online vendor?