Plant ID for Agave in Seattle

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by ersh99, Oct 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ersh99

ersh99 Active Member

Hi-

I am wondering if anyone knows what type of Agave these large specimens are? I apologize fo not getting a better image, it was taken while walking down the street and I noticed these beauties in someones yard! the photo was taken in Seattle, the location is on a full sun slope.
    thank you in advance!

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

3. Will B

Will B Active Member

To me it looks like 'Silver Surfer'. I have one. Agave protamericana Silver Surfer ... it is rather prone to fungus on the leaves in our wet climate. The one on the left in your photo has it.

4. ersh99

ersh99 Active Member

thank you! Does anyone have any idea if these are the best agave's for Seattle climate? or any other recs?

5. Will B

Will B Active Member

Not sure what you mean by 'best'... it is certainly a very nice Agave and will grow well in my climate, which is similar to Seattle's (dryer and maybe a tiny bit cooler), but you have to be careful about fungus. I grow mine under an overhang so it does not get too much winter rain on it, and it is doing well. A number of other Agaves will grow well here too. Possibly the one that seems the most at home is the Agave parryi J C Raulston ... it has not shown any issues with fungus yet (been growing for about 4 years, outdoors year round).

6. janiesuc

janiesuc New Member