Poppies and Cosmos

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Emmaji, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Emmaji

Emmaji Active Member

When should i plant outdoor poppy and cosmos seeds?

2. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Doesn't your seeds package have this kind of information printed on it?
    My app recommends to sow Cosmos outdoors since March and Poppy since April. You should know your local microclimate better and adjust accordingly. As Cosmoses are pretty tender, they should not be sown outdoors before the risk of frosts is over. My app tells me, that Cosmos will sprout in 7 days and will start to bloom 50 days after sprouting. It takes 15 days to sprout for Poppy.

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Poppies is a large group, so it depends on what type you are planting, but many poppies can be planted in our region starting now. I just noted that the California poppies and Flanders poppies are up in the traffic circle I tend. This is just natural seeding from last years flowers. It's early for cosmos, they like warmer weather.

Here is a flower planting chart from West Coast Seeds:
    https://1rxbfb2hflyo2jt6jd3f6sjr-wp...loads/2018/02/SM400-Flower-Planting-Chart.pdf

4. Emmaji

Emmaji Active Member

No my package does not have this info. If it did, i wouldn't have written this question. Thanks for your response.

Thanks for the chart...that helps a lot!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2020