Identification: Photographed in Victoria Jan 24

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by davidgrayson, Jan 24, 2020.

1. davidgrayson

davidgrayson Member

Frozen fruit on a tree? We had snow and freezing temps a week ago?

thanks,
    d

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I love the photo of the buds at that link. Those photos are from the same location at the Aquabus Hornby stop where I first learned about Edgeworthia.

@davidgrayson, thanks for posting this. I'm missing the Hawai'i sun, can use a little cheering up, will go see if these do the trick. I like your shrub full of little bells photo.

4. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

There are four cultivars of Edgeworthia chrysantha - aka paperbush : 'Gold Rush', 'John Bryant', 'Snow Cream' (all of which have yellow flowers) and 'Red Dragon' (which has re-orange flowers). In December you will start to notice the flowers forming and usually by February or March the shrub will be in full show. Which ever variety you have, they are not commonly seen and their colors are a real treat in the winter.

It is important to note that because of when it flowers you should never do any Fall pruning; wait until after the flowers die back around April or May.

Edgeworthia chrysantha - 'Red Dragon' paperbush PM.JPG
    Edgeworthia chrysantha 'Red Dragon' (2019)

wcutler likes this.
  5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The current RHS Horticultural Database listing includes 'Frederic', 'Grandiflora Yellow', 'Nanjing Gold', 'Winter Hebe' and 'Winter Liebe'. (With 'Grandiflora Yellow' and 'Winter Hebe' designated as "unchecked" - it certainly seems possible that 'Grandiflora Yellow" could be a synonym of the "invalid" 'Grandiflora', 'Winter Hebe' a mistake for 'Winter Liebe')

Search for plants in the RHS Horticultural Database / RHS Gardening

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  6. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting it is a Hawaiian native? From what I could find it is from southwest China, Nepal, and Japan.

7. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Not at all, sorry to have written something misleading. I was suggesting I needed cheering up after just returning from Hawai'i into this cold dreary rain, and that's a good cheery-looking plant to visit.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.