Plants of the year 2020

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Georgia Strait, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    i realize this is marketing from various companies / organizations ... however it is fun to look

And (mentally) break promises about not spending any more money on plants (!)

(See Margot’s post earlier 2020 about garden resolutions New Year's Garden Resolutions

I am curious about a few of the listings
    1. Coast to coast hosta (it’s the name that gets me - plus I do prefer that colour)

2. The small white long bloom hydrangea ... tho I wish it went from white to rusty pink like my Blushing Bride does.

3. Thé euphorbia on thé Proven Winners list looks interesting too

4. The ilex (holly) that looks like boxwood ... sort of.

————

I have tried many in the past and some failed mainly due to my shaded garden ... perovskia (on thé 2020 list) was a top pick way back maybe when home gardening became so fashionable (the days of the annual Sunset mag PNW garden show in Seattle which I loved going to)

I have now learned to have my stand-by plants that have grown forever in this neighbourhood

————

What have you been tempted by I wonder ?

Hère are a couple of diff lists
    1. Proven Winners marketing
    HOME

2. An industry magazine top picks
    2020: Year of the ... - Greenhouse Product News

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The big Seattle show is still being produced, is not put on by Sunset Publishing - unless they took it over in later years and I didn't notice.

3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
  4. Pieter

Pieter Well-Known Member 10 Years

2020 Hosta of the Year is 'Dancing Queen', as selected by the Hosta Growers Association
    Shadowland 'Coast to Coast'
    is simply a Proven Winners selection and not unlike 'Dancing Queen' for that matter, both are large and yellow.