Yucca Elephantipes' leaves are drying out

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by JoeSeni, Jan 17, 2020.

1. JoeSeni

JoeSeni New Member

Hi,
    I have had this Yucca for almost a year and around two months ago I started noticing this happening. The plant is next to a north-east window. Generally, Yucca is watered every 10 days. I always make sure that the soil is dried for about 2 inches in depth.

What am I doing wrong? What is happening?

Thanks for any advise!

XiiVZ.jpg
    aXfF3.jpg

VaV3I.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2020
  2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Are you saying that these are the first bottom leaves that have turned brown? There should constantly be old leaves dying from the bottom of the leafy areas, and new leaves growing from the top. That's how those bare stems came to be.

It may be that the older stems are out-competing the young one, but that's not certain yet, and if that does happen, it would be a fairly natural thing to happen. I don't see anything that looks very concerning as long as the older stems still look good. You could check the roots and make sure it's not root-bound and in need of repotting.

3. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Overall, your plant looks very healthy but, I agree, that yellowing stem is worrying. Although many websites recommend watering, as you do, every 10 days or when the top inch or two is dry, I think it is possible that you may be giving this particular plant more water than it needs. Excess water may cause root rot. Have you tried gently wiggling the problem stem to see if the root is strongly attached? If it moves excessively, it could indicate that the roots are compromised.

On Yucca Plant Care - Growing The Yucca Tree [HOW TO] I read that "In bright or high light settings, allow the top 1/4 or 1/3 of soil to dry out before watering well. In low-light settings indoors, let 3/4 of the soil to dry down between waterings." A north-east exposure would be considered a low-light situation unless you are providing artificial light. This is a drought-tolerant plant after all.

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The die back of all the young growth on the relatively healthy stems is a cause for concern. My guess would be not enough moisture. Yet the first thing that comes to mind with the yellowing one is over-watering. Perhaps the plant is not getting enough light, more so the yellow one given its lower height. I agree that the northwest exposure is likely not enough for this plant. Your watering regimen sounds reasonable so I suggest moving the plant to a location with more light to see if there's any improvement.

5. Margot

If the yellowing stem may be suffering from over-watering, how is the watering regimen reasonable?

6. Junglekeeper

Yes, that was my first thought. However I then thought that may not be the case after all since the OP said he allowed the soil to dry before watering. Nevertheless over-watering is still a possibility if the medium is dense and retaining too much moisture; it is possible to have the first couple inches dry and have the bottom wet at the same time. An inspection of the root system would provide useful information but it looks like it would take some effort given the size of the plant.

7. JoeSeni

JoeSeni New Member

Thanks for all your advises.

I move the plant in a sunnier window, even though my apartment is facing north. I found out how the part of the plant which was facing the wall corner looks like... Not quite healthy.

I would have to check the root but I am quite scared to produce other issue. IMG_20200119_104412.jpg IMG_20200119_104340.jpg

Attached Files:

8. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

You could just bang the pot on the ground a bit to loosen the pot's attachment to the plant, then pull the plant out, as if you were going to transplant it.

You have not said whether these are the first leaves that have gone brown in two years.

9. JoeSeni

JoeSeni New Member

This is the first time at this level, just few leaves were brown at the bottom and the was plant was much more dense of leaves.

10. Junglekeeper

This support the hypothesis of the plant not receiving enough light - less light, more die back. However it would not hurt to inspect the roots as suggested by others.

11. JoeSeni

JoeSeni New Member

I finally decided to check the roots. What do you think?

I have also to say that the situation is getting worst.

IMG_20200126_130849.jpg IMG_20200126_131717.jpg IMG_20200126_130835.jpg IMG_20200126_131552.jpg IMG_20200126_130710.jpg IMG_20200126_130751.jpg IMG_20200126_131005.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  12. Junglekeeper

There does not appear to be any rot in the roots. In fact the white tips are a good sign though I thought there would be more roots. Is it possible to move the plant to a location with more light, even if it's temporary? Do you have a neighbour with a green thumb who could look after it for a while?

13. Margot

I cannot say, looking at JoeSeni's photos, if rot is at the root of the problem. You would certainly expect to see far more roots so - either the stems had hardly any roots when he purchased the plant(s) a year ago or, as it seems to me, they've disappeared (rotted?) since then. I think the problem is more likely too much water than too little light; probably a combination. As I quoted in Post #3,
    upload_2020-1-26_20-27-13.png

Not enough roots to support the plant. ​

If this were my plant, I'd carefully wash the soil off the remaining roots using tepid water, sterilize the container and replant in a more porous potting mix like those sold for cacti and succulents. I would hedge my bets by taking cuttings from the mostly rootless stem and start them as advised on many websites such as: How to Cut & Replant Yucca Keep in indirect light with the soil slightly damp for about four weeks until new roots grow.
    Then, reread Best of luck!

14. Junglekeeper

Use a new container if the one that you're using does not have drainage holes.