Floss Silk Tree

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Strato, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Strato

Strato New Member

Hi all, I haven't seen a question about this. I'm trying to grow new starts for a floss silk tree that was given to me. I heard I can't start new trees from cutting, but I cut off three trunks, leaving the main one I wanted to keep, to try to bonzi. I put the trunks in pots with soil and have kept them moist , and after three weeks I am starting to see sprouting on the trunks, so I'm hoping I'll be able to share the new trees if they continue to grow. Has anybody had experience with doing this? I am wondering how long to leave them in the pots until they can be transplanted into the ground, or any other advice. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

It depends on how fast new roots will grow, how large container you use and how careful you are with your potted plants. If the container size is proportional to the plant, then there is no rush to plant rooted cuttings to the ground. Often you can have more control over growing conditions, when the plant is potted for longer period. But in the ground it can be more tolerant to some neglect.
    I often use smaller (still not too small) container, when rooting cuttings. And will repot or plant into the ground as soon as the root tip is visible from the drainage hole.

3. Strato

Strato New Member

Great, thanks.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

First you have to see if the sprouts hold up or if they collapse and shrivel after a time - unless it's found out later this method can work with this particular species it's possible the pieces are making a little bit of ultimately doomed top growth without also producing roots.

5. Strato

Strato New Member

Oh o.k. Well I'll keep caring for them and hopefully they'll sprout some roots as well. I'll keep an eye on the holes at the bottom of the containers for root sings.

6. Strato

Strato New Member

Here's a photo of the parent tree in her new home.

Attached Files:

7. Strato

Strato New Member

Hello, community, Happy New Year. I thought you might be interested in progress my floss silks trees have made, since 11-7-19. The first photo is the transplant I made with the parent tree, into a large pot. The second and third photo are two of the branches I had cut off the parent plant. If the parent plant does well, I hope next fall to trim it down 18" or so, so it will fit under my eves and be able to grow out a nice canopy. It'll be sort of like a bonsai? Cheers!

Attached Files:

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  8. Strato

Strato New Member

Hi all, I thought I would give you a year update. The parent tree is doing good, as it was planted with the whole root ball. The other trunks I cut off the parent tree are all doing well, too. I don't have a photo of one of the cuttings because we planted it in my son's front yard. It is holding it's own so far, as well.

Attached Files:

9. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

@Strato, it's nice to see that you've had such success with these.

Strato likes this.