Holiday cactus

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Latanante, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Latanante

Latanante New Member

I was given a holiday cactus to bring back to life. They had her in an office and were watering her lots. They stopped watering her 2 weeks before i picked her up. The pot was soaking wet. I took all the dirt off and washed off the roots. When i picked up a handful of dirt i was able to squeeze out some water. It was gross. Her leaves were mostly dried and limp. I repotted her, checked out her roots (they looked good).

So its been a few months and I've been cutting down some leaves as they die. I've been watering her sparingly weekly or so (depending on how the dirt feels). I put cactus soil in it. Now she seems a bit greener and yesterday i've noticed that she is throwing lots of aerial roots.

Sorry for the long talk... my question is .. is there anything else i can do to help paisley? Why is she throwing aerial roots? I live in the yukon so im doing the best to give her indirect light, attention and food (just gave her some fertilizer yesterday).

Thoughts ?

2. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

It sounds as if you are treating it well. I don't know exactly what you mean with "holiday cactus", but I guess it is some kind of flat-stemmed epiphytic cactus, and they do occasionally grow aerial roots, especially in low light.

3. Latanante

Latanante New Member

i

the whole holiday (thanksgiving/easter cactus) vs christmas cactus.
    Thanks for info :)