Elephant Bush/Portulacaria afra

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Sara_, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Sara_

Sara_ New Member

Hi, so I'm not a very experienced plant owner and one of my few plants, the elephant bush, has been dropping some of it's leaves lately. It's not very old, I keep it on my desk right by a window so it can get light, and I don't water it too often just when the soil starts to get dry and occasionally a little mist in between waterings. I don't really know what's wrong or what to do so any help would be great. It's not very big so I don't think the pot is too small but maybe it needs better drainage? or different soil? Again, kinda lost and don't really know what's going on.

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

3. Sara_

Sara_ New Member

Here are some images of it, most of the leaves fell of earlier this week and aren't in the pictures

Attached Files:

4. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

5. Sara_

Sara_ New Member

I'll take a look, thanks!

6. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Hi. One see two things you might want to consider changing. First, the pot you are using doesn't seem to have drainage hole for the excess water to drain. Second, the soil seem to be a potting mix that looks to hold a bit of moisture.
    Portulacaria alfa and most succulents likes and do well in well draining soil. Perhaps, they don't like wet feet (roots) . They kind of like being on the dry side. They will thrive well in a catcus mix soil or a well draining bonsai soil. I hope this help.

Attached Files:

Sara_ likes this.