Arctostaphylos columbiana

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by Louis A, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Louis A

Louis A Member

Hello, I’m new to the forums and am a bit of a Arctostaphylos fan (understatement). Anyhow, I’m wondering if people here are familiar with locations that have arctostaphylos columbiana growing around Vancouver/Fraser Valley? An old post I was reading mentioned seeing one as far East as Harrison mills (near the road up to hemlock).

2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    It would be interesting to search for plant lists of Manning Park

I found a good one (in terms of many plants separated in to tree / shrub etc) by location (the road signs in Manning ) fr what seems like a college course but no Latin so it is in my opinion - in the end - not very helpful

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

4. Louis A

Louis A Member

Thanks! I’m wondering how many exist throughout the B.C. lowermainland. They’re stunning plants and I’ve only once encountered them on a little hike in west vancouver.

5. Georgia Strait

Up cypress ? Or at sea level or mid elevation like Eagle Ridge where Howe Sound weather outflow meets - just curious

6. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

They are at lower elevations in the bluffs above Horseshoe Bay and around the corner to the south and east in West Vancouver, probably extending north along Howe Sound in similar habitat. One location that I noted along a trail is 230 m ASL.

7. Louis A

Louis A Member

the ones I saw were several hundred feet above sea level on an exposed bluff near a telecommunications tower.

8. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Oh, an Arctostaphylos fan! Pleased to meet you!

I'll assume you know of this resource: Field Guide to Manzanitas - Backcountry Press

The photographer for that book also offers a separate CD with more images, if you are keen.

Louis A likes this.
  9. Georgia Strait

Daniel - Have you seen any (beyond the KinnikKinnik) on the Sunshine Coast BC?

10. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I've not seen these in Pender Harbour, but that's a 2013 photo: E-Flora BC Photo Gallery: Photo Details

I only recall ever having encountered the Sproat Lake and Saltspring Island populations (oh, and I intended to see the Comox Lake population, but I was so disgusted by seeing how the ecological reserve there was being abused on a long weekend that I left).

11. Georgia Strait

perhaps one might find some around Smuggler Cove provincial park out on the rock outcrops (ie not the forest but out by the sea)

or maybe by those fabulous rock outcrops in Sechelt --- near where blue poppies (private garden) used to be

12. Daniel Mosquin

The ones I remember from Saltspring are in open forest, but I suspect the forest has grown around them.

13. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I saw one or two several years ago at the top of Little Mountain near Parksville. Little Mountain Parksville: Nanaimo Attraction within Driving Distance I remember a naturalist saying that they always grow ___?????___ but I can't remember what; maybe on an elevated spot? Do any of you know of an essential requirement for the successful cultivation of Arctostaphylos columbiana?

Louis A likes this.
  14. Louis A

Louis A Member

Daniel, I don't have that book, but it sounds like something that I should own!!

I've always been taken with the manzanitas up and down the West Coast and have recently been trying out different manzanitas in the yard. But, like many planty types, I get such a joy seeing them in their native habitat. There's something so special when you stumble upon one of your all time favourite plants! The thrill! Similarly, I can pinpoint many Arbutus trees in the Abbotsford area. The Glenn Mountain neighbourhood has several of them poking out through the rocky hillside. With the presence of Garry Oak and Arbutus, I'm always on the lookout for a manzanita hiding in plain sight so to speak. I'm convinced there are more around that we haven't discovered yet.

Daniel Mosquin and Margot like this.
  15. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

One thing is certain, not all are located on a that e-flora map.

I lived in Lantzville and recall seeing them on Notch Hill near the Naval Station. Up here in Courtenay there are numerous around a development next to the Marina in Comox.
    Excellent drainage is a requirement. Cheers.