Identification: Deciduous shrub with opposite leaves

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by wcutler, Dec 2, 2019.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Don't they all have opposite leaves? I'm just being pessimistic. I expect that these are a common shrub that I would maybe recognize with fruits or flowers, but it does not have them now, and nothing is distinctive about these to me. I like the round shape of these shrubs, and the straight stems. Is it identifiable? They were so attractive with the yellow leaves, like huge Christmas ornaments. I never even noticed them the rest of the year. These are planted at St Paul's Hospital on the Thurlow side.
    Shrubs_StPaulsHospital-Thurlow_Cutler_20191101_115549.jpg Shrubs_StPaulsHospital-Thurlow_Cutler_20191101_115605.jpg Shrubs_StPaulsHospital-Thurlow_Cutler_20191101_115617.jpg

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  2. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

A Ligustrum maybe?

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Kind of reminds me of Forsythia...maybe

Sundrop likes this.
  4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Photos taken from too far away to tell - bud and twig details need to be discernible.

5. wcutler

OK, thanks. It was the habit that interested me; I thought it might have been distinctive. Here is a cropped version of the last photo, maybe not clear enough.
    Shrubs_StPaulsHospital-Thurlow_Cutler_20191101_115617c.jpg

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Definitely forsythia. The habit isn't natural - they have been arbitrarily headed back, as people often do with these traditionally medium- to large-growing shrubs (multiple dwarf forms also exist), thereby eliminating the attractiveness of their otherwise arching growth.

wcutler likes this.
  7. wcutler

Ha-ha, OK, I won't submit them as a good example. I thought the big yellow balls were pretty good as winter ornaments. But true, if they'd had the arching branches, I might have recognized them too, and would not have posted them.

8. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    I am surprised leaves are still on those bauble shrubs ! It will be interesting to observe them in March when usually this plant should bloom ... tho regretfully thé gardeners might have sheared off next spring blossom potential (bloom on old wood ?)

Here is a pic this morning
    of the few leaves remaining on a free ranging forsythia that blooms for a lengthy period in March.

And thé twigs force in a vase in the house really well after Christmas ... and the tiny garden birds like the twigs outside for night rests and daytime protection fr hawks.

Attached Files:

9. wcutler

Sorry, that was misleading. The photos were from November 1 (shown in the file names). For various reasons I am trying to catch up on Vancouver photos.

10. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Oh I understand - I wondered after this recent cold spell ... which usually seems to happen around USA Thanksgiving no matter when the Thu is ;)

The photo I posted is a good example of horrible machine shearing - it is tangled up inside the latest twigs ... tho that has advantages in that it is on a retaining
    wall and no human of any size could fall off due to the forsythia sheared twig tangle! (Plus it’s a small bird safety zone)