Luma apiculata

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Louis A, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Louis A

Louis A Member

Anyone growing luma apiculata in their gardens in the Vancouver area? I’m wondering about people’s experiences.

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

There are two small variegated Luma apiculata shrubs at a co-op building in the West End. I don't know how old they are - I just became aware of them in 2015. They get some flowers but not a lot of flowers, if I remember correctly. I think I have seen a fruit or two. They were moved from next to the entrance path to another spot in front of the building, pretty much the same growing conditions, so I think it was just an aesthetic decision. I could post some photos, but not until the end of January when I get back to my desktop computer. I saw two green-leaved ones on Bainbridge Island that year, which was the first I'd heard of this species, and I was beyond excited that then I recognized the variegated ones in the West End. I think the Bainbridge ones were about my height and very nice-looking. I don't seem to have posted a habit photo, but I posted a photo of the flowers at
    LumaApiculata_DeborahCheadle-Garden_BainbridgeIsland_Cutler_20150628_140352.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Tall shrub to small tree sized specimens of the typical species continue (see account below, dating from 2006) to persist in Seattle, with one friend's example generating seedlings (but I think these disappear during the annual summer drought - he doesn't water much, if at all). With both it and a variegated cultivar - presumably 'Glanleam Gold' - having been offered by local independent garden centers. However small plants of the latter growing in combo pots at the Edmonds waterfront froze out after a time.

Plant of the Month

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    wcutler likes this.
  4. Louis A

Louis A Member

I’ll have to check out for those ones in the West End!! I first saw one close to Bainbridge myself last spring!

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Beautiful beautiful plants. Here are a few photos from Chile / Argentina.

Attached Files:

Louis A and wcutler like this.
  6. Louis A

Louis A Member

WOW! Those are stunning photos, Daniel! I love the warm tones in the bark on those trees!

Daniel Mosquin likes this.