Identification: Could this be a shirasawanum?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by LoverOfMaples, Nov 29, 2019.

1. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Found this tree this fall on my maple exploring mission without a label. Could this be a shirasawanum?

Attached Files:

emery likes this.
  2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

It's not Acer shirasawanum ssp shirasawanum if that's what you mean, but it could certainly be a hybrid with a shirasawanum parent. (Most of the shirasawanum cultivars are such hybrids.)

3. LoverOfMaples

I figure it would be a very vague question to ask but I was wondering as far as species (palmatum verses shirasawanum verses other).

4. emery

It actually looks quite a lot like pseudosieboldianum at a glance.

Is that at Mt. Auburn?

So I pulled out the plant list from there, in 2011 -- which I happen to have as my wife's step-brother-in-law was on the board, of all things! -- and I see they have 72 taxa of Acer, for a total of 626 individual specimens. And in 2011 anyway, neither A. shirasawanum of A. pseudosieboldianum makes the list!

So... that shows what my random guesses are worth! ;)

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  5. LoverOfMaples

Yes it is Mt. Auburn.
    Is it possible to send me that link or info?
    Lol, my guess as well

6. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

Looks like seeds are hanging down. I think the shirasawanum hybrids are sometimes identified as having shira parentage by the upright seeds

Keith

7. LoverOfMaples

Very good characteristics to remember Keith. I found an Acer shirasawanum tenuifolium and Acer shirasawanum palmatifolium, they both had samaras upright.

Thanks alot

8. emery

I'm not sure that all the shirasawanum crosses will have upright samaras, though it is a good way to tell that a cultivar is a such a cross; example, Acer 'Summer Gold' was always assumed a palmatum until someone noticed the position of the fruit.

For the record, it would be A. shirasawanum var. tenuifolium previously; but this maple has been raised in rank -- or perhaps it would be better to say that the Japanese view has achieved wide acceptance -- and we now call it Acer tenuifolium Koidz. Koidzumi first classified it as a variety in 1911 but then raised it in rank in 1916, which change didn't gain wide popularity as the differences with shirasawanum are minor: smaller leaves and some silky hairs on the leaf margins. 'Palmatifolium' on the other hand is a selection, which is to say a cultivar, and putting the single quotes around it indicates this: A. shirasawanum 'Palmatifolium'. The origin of 'Palmatifolium' has been lost, but it is an old cultivar and van Gelderen suggest the selection may have been made by Koidzumi himself. One of the toughest of all the Japanese Maples, that's for certain.

Sorry I don't have a link to the Mt Auburn doc as it's a bound report. I'm not aware that it's online anywhere.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  9. LoverOfMaples

I purchased 'Summer Gold' last year as a palmatum. Not knowing this great info until now. Should I change it to shirasawanum in my tree inventory or just make a side note? I will also make the name change to my seed inventory I collected from A. shirasawanum var. tenuifolium. Thanks E!