Anybody seeing any early colour change?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Luke’s Maples, Oct 1, 2019.

1. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Fantastic colours Alain. Strangely, one of my P. Asahi zuru turned bright red this year, retaining some white variegation on the red leaves, that tree has held its leaves, my other two went quickly from green with variegation to solid yellow, loosing the variegation in the process..and the leaves quickly fell.all reasonably sized trees at about 2m. The only thing I can think of is that the one that went red was in a sunny spot. Also my P.Shiraz didnt colour up this year as well as previous years, nor did my P. beni schichenge..neither had the pink/red colour..more cream and green. I think both needed more sun than they got, although they looked healthy and have grown well. Ive not forgotten about the seeds I promised I will send them..picked some more now the leaves have dropped.

AlainK likes this.
  2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

'Beni Komachi'. I kept it mostly in the shade this summer, it's its first season at my place, it's actually one tree whose branches on one side were used as new trees while the trunk was buried horizontally. The friend I got it from had to sell all his bonsai because he now has to walk with a cane, so it's very precious for me.

acerp-z-foret.francis_191116a.jpg acerp-z-foret.francis_191116b.jpg

LoverOfMaples and Margot like this.
  3. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Very nice raft. I thought it was a group planting at first. Did your friend give a round about age of the tree?

4. AlainK

No, but it's at least ten years old.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  5. AlainK

The leaves are now gone on most of my maples.

Some seedlings that were kept in the shade for most of the day. Dozens from an A. p. palmatum in a "jardinière" (don't know what you call these long plastic pots used mainly to plant geraniums on a widow sill). Others from different sources and a photo of the very fertile A. p. palmatum :

acer_191124a.jpg acer_191124b.jpg acer_191124c.jpg acer_191124e.jpg acer_191124d.jpg

I also had a couple of A. p. dissectum atropurpureum of some kind but they shed their leaves earlier. I'll see next spring, but so far none of such seedlings survived the first or second year.

Acer discolor
    : the colours are not as vivid as in previous years, but the shades are very delicate. Almost make me feel like tasting the leaves ;°)
    Difficult though to catch the real impression in a photo :
    acer-discolor_191124a.jpg acer-discolor_191124b.jpg

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  6. LoverOfMaples

Very beautiful. I collected a few seeds from a A. p. palmatum this year. Hopefully they will come out as nice as yours.

7. LoverOfMaples

Still going through photos

Acer palmatum 'Oktoberfest' @ Arnold Arboretum in Boston, MA
    Oct. 2019

Attached Files: