Scion

Discussion in 'Maples' started by LoverOfMaples, Nov 19, 2019.

1. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Hello everyone. So ive been thinking its time for me to try grafting this coming spring, but was wondering when is the best time to collect scion? Any and all advise will be appreciated.

Thanks

2. 0soyoung

0soyoung Rising Contributor

Around June is a good grafting time. Most maples have completed their first flush just before then. So, when you cut back, rather than discard it all, use some of it as scions and graft straight away. I see no need to collect scions in advance, myself.

I'm thinking it better to defoliate the scions and wrap them in parafilm or bag them. Success = new shoot/leaves.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  3. LoverOfMaples

I hate wasting and that's one reason i have so many plants now! So summer grafting is normally done and/or can be done around that time (june). I appreciate the info Osoyoung!

4. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

I never crafted any maples, but in my country crafting with scionwood is done in the winter (from January to April) indoors or in the spring (from April to May) outdoors. Only crafting with a bud is done in the summer.
    Crafting in the winter is recommended also here:
    How to Graft Japanese Maple Trees

5. LoverOfMaples

Thanks Sulev. Im familiar with the grafting techniques and time of year to graft. I've bud grafted a few apple trees with success but haven't tried any maples yet. Its on my list of thing to try. Next year i will have plenty of root stock to practice with, hopefully! My experience with growing from seed here in the northeast USA is a slow process.

6. 0soyoung

0soyoung Rising Contributor

Regarding summer grafting, one can affect a common side/veneer graft or one can make a T-cut and insert the scion under the bark (as opposed to only inserting a bud). This latter method is also used in commercial production. Just fyi; I'm not recommending any one method/technique over the others.

7. LoverOfMaples

I tried the t cut this spring with no success. I think it was more of a scion issue. I will make another attempt.

8. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I'd like to try grafting too but wonder where to get the root stock.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  9. LoverOfMaples