Fudan Zakura - everblooming cherry

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by pmurphy, Nov 14, 2019.

1. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Now that we're all cleaning up and winding downing our gardens for the season I thought I would share some photos of what my fudan zakura - meaning "cherry without interruption" - is doing to brighten my otherwise bare gardens.....

IMG_2613.JPG IMG_2614.JPG IMG_2616.JPG

This tree will flower sporadically from about November until April, with the bulk of the blossoms appearing in March and April

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Thank you! That's very nice with the red leaves and the white flowers. Who knew!?

3. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Here is an update on the Fudan-zakura, now 7 years old, or 107 years (depending upon who you ask) as it was cloned from some of Vancouver's original trees that were gifted from Japan - I was one of the lucky ones to be able to purchase one of these trees back in 2016.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...cherry-tree-japanese-rare-varieties-1.3556308

This tree is located in my front yard but is visible from the street.
    The name means everblooming because it usually starts to blossom sporadically in late November or early December until late April, but this year it didn't do that but instead flowered all at once starting about 3 weeks ago.
    The first 2 images were taken during the night just after the flowers started to open, the other photos were taken today.

Fudan-zakura_39th & Fleming front yard_Pam Murphy_March 21, 2023_IMG_9665.JPG Fudan-zakura_39th & Fleming front yard_Pam Murphy_March 21, 2023_IMG_9666.JPG
    Fudan-zakura_39th & Fleming front yard_Pam Murphy_April 7, 2023_IMG_9708.JPG Fudan-zakura_39th & Fleming front yard_Pam Murphy_April 7, 2023_IMG_9709.JPG
    Fudan-zakura_39th & Fleming front yard_Pam Murphy_April 7, 2023_IMG_9711.JPG Fudan-zakura_39th & Fleming front yard_Pam Murphy_April 7, 2023_IMG_9710.JPG
    Fudan-zakura_39th & Fleming front yard_Pam Murphy_April 7, 2023_IMG_9712.JPG

Acerholic likes this.