fall foliage city and country, planted and wild

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Georgia Strait, Oct 11, 2019.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

OH, thanks. Mazzard. I will fix that.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

They must like the fallen cherries.

3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Already Remembrance Day Nov 11 - and some fall colour remains

Sédum Autumn Glory with a fantastic short aster - it spreads but i don’t mind (it’s not rampant and it takes summer drought ). I see a leaf of California poppy in lower part of photo too.

Thé Halloween Hitchcock photo is a street tree (cherry I think?) that shed its leaves to reveal someone’s twiggy tree house nest ... it’s approx 10 inch diam so maybe a crow?

EDIT CORRECTION - I made a mistake above - it is Autumn Joy (not Autumn glory)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  4. Ron B

You must mean "autumn joy" which is itself a translation of 'Herbstfreude' and not the actual cultivar name. That cultivar name being 'Herbstfreude'.

5. Georgia Strait

yes thank you - you are absolutely correct - Autumn Joy

It is interesting because in some spots in this garden - what is labelled as Autumn Joy is pale pink - so i wonder if summer drought or sun-vs-shade hours or other influence might be factor.

I am not so keen on the pink in autumn --- the deep velvet red burgundy is stunning. The leaves in summer on this plant are normally pale green. It dies back in winter and re-grows in spring. This plant is approx 8 yrs old.

EDIT - i meant to add that the size of this plant is approx 1 foot spread by about 16 inch tall in a soil border (ie not a container) --- for me - in containers - I have tried the variegated leaf version of Sedum - and I am not successful. Not sure why not.

edit - here is an interesting article about this plant - i like the term "Chelsea Chop" - http://www.sbgardendesign.co.uk/2013/09/30/sedum-herbstfreude/?LMCL=HbAfT6

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  6. Georgia Strait

Remembrance Day Canada - and some semi-wild (ie not planted by humans) bright red wild leaves on the side of a mall parking lot in suburban Vanc BC

Various species fr right to left in the main photo which I think is the 3rd pic in the series:

A holly (ilex ; invasive here)

Some sort of bush willow approx 30 feet tall w small yellow leaves (autumn)

A native dogwood like BC emblem (the tall skinny twig of a young tree in foreground)

Foreground trees with bark are Douglas firs

Background in the forest incl wild cherries and maybe some cottonwood

Foreground green twigs are an invasive broom plant - bad news

I think in mid-ground there is a red huckleberry - it’s deciduous and typical of older forests (vaccinium)

Foreground - autumn color on blackberry - thé invasive Himalayan I think.

And a few wind blown big leaf maple leaves caught in the bushes

Bright red small tree shrub - top photo on this series - what is that ? - it caught my eye fr across the parking lot - it was glowing w rich autumn colour

Attached Files:

7. Georgia Strait

On Oct 12 Cdn Thanksgiving I posted some mall tree pictures that member Ron B id as liquidambar I think - the tree is at a mall in suburban Vanc BC

So I happened by on American Thxgiving and this is what same tree looks like now - no leaves - lots of teasel-like fruit and — a nest! I am guessing a crow nest.

Attached Files:

8. Willard

Willard Generous Contributor

No bird nest visible today, only the key ring.

20210331 SunCrestMall Liquidamber Willard IMG_9503.JPG 20210331 SunCrestMall Liquidamber Willard IMG_9505.JPG 20210331 SunCrestMall Liquidamber Willard IMG_9508.JPG

I’ll keep an eye on the tree. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  9. Georgia Strait

Looks like an old Canada Post rural box key!

Clever crows getting notices fr CRA :)

I am sure I saw an old nest the other day

It is very close to where the painted lines in parking lot say “RV” then look back toward London Drg main entry.

Another nest tree is down outside the nice little Sandy Bakery in the village ... near Leo Taverna.

10. Willard

Willard Generous Contributor

I found the Liquidambar tree with nest now. There are at least 15 of them planted in the Sunnycrest Mall parking lot. Most have been pruned.
    There is a lot of pruning done in Gibsons, including several plum and cherry trees around town that have been severely pruned.

20210331 SunnycrestMall Liquidambar Willard  IMG_9532.JPG 20210331 SunnycrestMall Liquidambar Willard IMG_9547.JPG

Makes me wonder what this other tree is.
    There is only one (in the foreground).
    Another one of the 15 Liquidambar is in the background.
    20130331 SunnycrestMall Willard IMG_9538.JPG

Acerholic, KateB20 and Georgia Strait like this.
  11. Ron B

It's another one of the sweetgums

12. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

And the reds of Liquidambar in the Autumn is second to none. And that's from a maple enthusiast !!!

13. Georgia Strait

I looked at the fall foliage photo of this shopping mall and the leaf colors are consistent w “liquidambar” which I assume is “sweetgum”

@Ron B — question - some of the trees still have their sharp needle “hedgehog” seed or pods on them and some trees have none - not a hint of one — are sweet gum (liquidambar) male and female like some hollies have berries and others do not?

The attached photo was Oct 12/19. It shows the fall colour version of bare tree posted by Willard recently.

Attached Files:

14. wcutler

Liquidambar are monoecious, having male and female flowers on the same tree. According to the Vancouver Trees App - UBC Botanical Garden, there is a cultivar called 'Rotundiloba' that is advertised as a fruitless plant. It has rounded lobes.
    The trees with none of the old fruits might have just dropped them already, or were particularly tasty to birds for some reason. Or just didn't have many fruits last year.

Georgia Strait likes this.
  15. Ron B

Fruitless specimens are frequent in plantings within our region, in fact when I see one that has a lot of them it seems the exception rather than the rule.

16. wcutler

We've got a lot of trees with a lot of fruits around the West End.