Identification: Anyone know mushrooms

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by amdm, Mar 21, 2006.

1. amdm

amdm Member

Growing in my yard, South Louisiana. Anyone know what it's called?

Attached Files:

2. Mycos

Mycos Active Member

Unfortunately, LBM's (Little Brown Mushrooms) are as ubiquitous as they are hard to identify (plenty). We'd need a little more detail than can be seen here in order to hazard even an educated guess. Gill coloration is sometimes useful as a hint on the spore color.

3. amdm

amdm Member

Oh ok , and it was gone today , it had died , oh well maybe another will grow one day I'll take a photo of it's underside. But thanks anyway.

4. allelopath

allelopath Well-Known Member 10 Years

also, some indication of size will be helpful.
    put a ruler or quarter in the photo with the mushroom.

5. amdm

amdm Member

It was pretty big this one . But thats ok I looked up mushrooms and this seems to be an oyster type . there are a variaty of oyster mushrooms and this one fit one of the types.

6. Mycos

Mycos Active Member

Eww..! Normally I'd think it more polite to just let that go, but what's happening here can have direct consequence regarding a poisoning.

This mushroom is definitely not an Oyster (Pleurotus sps.) If you look back at your books there, you'll see that Oysters almost always have a stalk that is either extremely off-center, or... if present at all, attaching directly from the side like a bracket fungus (polypore). They are also quite good eating and highly recommended as such. What you have there has a perfectly central stalk which is completely atypical of Oysters.

If you look up a mushroom called Galerina venenata, you'll find a pic of a mushroom that is much closer in looks to the one you have provided. Indeed, I couldn't rule that one out entirely based on what we see in the picture you have provided. G. venenata is deadly poisonous.

Then there's the whole Psilocybe group, again very similar to the picture provided. These again may not be exactly what you were expecting in the way of settling in to read a good book after a nice meal.

7. allelopath

allelopath Well-Known Member 10 Years

Definitely, decidedly, most certainly, not

8. amdm

amdm Member

Thank you both ,mycos and allelopath will serch farther into it. But I don't pick wild mushrooms to eat anyway. Buy them out the store.:-)

9. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Note a few other comments about that not being oyster.

That mushroom is as different from an oyster mushroom, as a Saturn Ion would be from a Hummer.

At least you have one photo, maybe more will grow.

The size seems fairly easy to gauge from the grass blades behind.