Not sure how to deal with this

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Oliver - HappyGrün, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Oliver - HappyGrün

Oliver - HappyGrün Member

Hello
    I have a problem with a couple of Ficus Benjamina plants. They have small white dots on it’s leaves. I already treated them with insecticidal soap/alcohol mix. I have a hard time washing/rinsing them off, but can rub it off with a rag. One friend told me that he thinks it could be from the chloride in the y, and another friend told me that he thinks it’s a fungus.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The leaves do not appear to be those of F. benjamina; perhaps you could post more photos of the plant for identification. The white specks look like sap that has oozed from the leaf then dried. I suggest you break a leaf to see if it exudes sap.

3. Michigander

Michigander Active Member

You need to see this under magnification. I have a 7x scale loupe that I use about once a year. It answers a lot of questions. Know any jewelers or science teachers?

4. Oliver - HappyGrün

Oliver - HappyGrün Member

Thanks for your reply ;) I actually have 10x lope, and took some pictures putting it in front if my iphone. Maybe it’s mealybugs. Wouldn’t hurt to spray it with 70% alcohol I guess.

Attached Files:

5. Michigander

Michigander Active Member

Junglekeeper is right. Those are Green Island Fig leaves. Those white dots could be dried sap if you have recently trimmed it and jiggled the bleeding plant, splashing it around . When that dies, it is essentially Elmer's glue that stays white and stuck if you don't hose it down before it dries. Did you do a lot of pruning? Mealy bugs smash and come off pretty easy.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2019