Identification: PLEASE HELP: Identify whether this is a Schefflera arboricola or actinophylla

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Julia Law, Sep 15, 2019.

Tags:
?

Arboricola or Actinophylla

1. Arboricola

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Actinophylla

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Julia Law

Julia Law New Member

I got this plant from an Asian supermarket and am not sure whether it is a Schefflera arboricola or actinophylla.

I would like to add this plant into my chameleon's enclosure but want to make sure its the safe kind (arboricola).

Can someone please identify which type it is?

Thank you.
    20190915_234423.jpg 20190915_234745.jpg 20190915_234758.jpg 20190915_235015.jpg 20190915_235029.jpg 20190915_234359.jpg 20190915_234640.jpg

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I think the relatively narrower and longer leaf suggests S. actinophylla. Have a look at the following thread which I started some years ago: Differentiating Schefflera arboricola and actinophylla. I believe both species contain calcium oxalate crystals and so both would have some degree of toxicity.

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I don't think it looks like this S. actinophylla seedling: https://keyserver.lucidcentral.org/...era_actinophylla/schlefferaactinophylla39.jpg, and it seems unlikely that the leaves of such a small plant of that species would have so many leaflets. That's not to say that for sure it's S. arboricola, or that if it were, that it would be safe for your chameleon, see Schefflera Poisoning in Dogs - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost. I see that the chameleon forums say S. arboricola is the safe one, and who knows if the wagwalking page has their story straight. But Wikipedia does mention calcium oxalate on the Schefflera arboricola - Wikipedia page.

4. Michigander

Michigander Active Member

It's Arboracola. There is no hint of a point at the ends of the leaf and they are all smaller than Schefflera.