In search of Ichang lemon and Improved Meyer lemon seeds

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by petasplit, Apr 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. petasplit

petasplit New Member

Hy all, I joined this forum in search of Ichang lemon and improved Meyer lemon seeds. I have found few sellers on eBay but they are asking way too high for 10 seeds (shame). I was wondering does anyone here has those seeds and is willing to send me some. I am eager to grow Ichang and improved Meyer (because od cold hardiness) and want to try grow them in my climate. I live in Croatia but in my microclimate ordinary lemon wouldnt survive. That is why I am searching those two lemon species. Anyway, if someone is willing to help let me know. Thanks for reading.

2. SoCal2warm

SoCal2warm Active Member

Ichang lemon is certainly hardy but not really anywhere near as hardy as Ichang papeda. It does not seem to do so well for me here in climate zone 8a, PNW (U.S.), which has a similar climate to Northern France.

Ichang lemon is either a hybrid between Pomelo and Ichang papeda, or Pomelo and Yuzu. (There have been some basic DNA marker studies on it but those basic studies cannot different well between Ichang papeda versus Yuzu ancestry)

I know it's easy to get "Ichang lemon" confused with "Ichang papeda". In China, "Ichang lemon" was known by a name that translates as "fragrant ball", used in old times to perfume cabinets much the same way that quince fruit was in Southern Europe.

The fruits of Ichang lemon are bigger and juicier than Ichang papeda.

My notes for Ichang lemon say that it may be cold hardy down to about 15-20 F (that equates to -9.5 C to -6.5 C ), or might have just a little bit less cold hardiness than Yuzu.

3. petasplit

petasplit New Member

I am not confusing "Ichang lemon" with "Ichang papeda". There are different notes for cold hardiness from different people, that is why I want to collect seeds and try to grow some to see how does my micro climate affect Ichang. And also Ichang lemon if full of juice and edible (in a way) and it is another reason for me to grow it.

4. SoCal2warm

SoCal2warm Active Member

The leaves on Ichang lemon look different from Ichang papeda also: 20190403_113154.jpg

5. petasplit

petasplit New Member

SoCal2warm, do you have any seeds available?

6. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Improved Meyer lemon seed is monoembryonic (and zygotic) and will therefore not grow true to type.

7. SoCal2warm

SoCal2warm Active Member

No, unfortunately not. They have not fruited yet, and you'll have to wait until they begin fruiting abundantly because these seeds are scarce and I'll be wanting to germinate a few seedlings myself.

I hope to one day be able to offer seeds.

I suspect Ichang lemon would still need at least some light protection in Vancouver, planted up against a house. Although I have heard a report of a large Yuzu tree growing outside there, so maybe not. (yes, fruiting)

8. petasplit

petasplit New Member

Wort a try asking. Anyone else?

9. biochemist89

biochemist89 New Member

Ichang papeda fruits embedded a fair load of seeds inside. The only reason it was extremely rare in the US is due to its fruit quality. There were some seedless varieties of ichang papeda in the US, but the owners might not be willing to share their treasure.