Succulent - what is it?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by pmurphy, Sep 16, 2019.

?

Will this aloe survive the winter?

1. It will live through the winter

50.0%
  2. Not likely to survive

50.0%
  1. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

I was given this "house plant" last year for Christmas but had no place for it so this past spring I planted it in my garden with the other cacti and was not really too concerned about it. Then last week I noticed it was going to flower so now I'm wondering what it is so that I can determine if it will survive the winter where it is or if it needs a little help to do so.
    Thanks,

IMG_1625.JPG IMG_1621.JPG
    IMG_1622.JPG
    IMG_1623.JPG IMG_1624.JPG

2. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Interesting looking plant. I think it is Aloe. Will not survive the Vancouver winter in the garden.

3. pmurphy

I thought it might be some sort of aloe and I did read somewhere that aloe vera will survive zone 9 if protected; this one is currently planted in a large covered garden (where it will get cold but stays dry and frost-free during the winter) with other cacti, agave and some USDA zone 9 shrubs. And so far everything else has been doing well in this "garden" for many years so I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one as well.....would just like to put a name to it.

4. Will B

Will B Active Member

5. pmurphy

6. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Shall we add a poll? People can vote if they think it will survive, and you can let us know next year?

Will B likes this.
  7. Will B

Will B Active Member

interesting, it certainly could be a hybrid. I took the brown edges for damage, but those hybrids have nice red edges so it could be one of those... as for voting, we could vote for fun but I would not bet on it necessarily dying this winter. I expect it might survive when there are very mild winters and then die during a harsher winter. I let my White Fox aloes grow in a cool greenhouse, where I allow it to get to just above 0C, so I know they can take some cold, but I would not expect it to live outdoors most winters.

8. pmurphy

Now that I have some idea as to what it is, why not.....it wouldn't be the first time something has survived in my "garden" when it shouldn't (case in point the white bird of paradise that came back a few years ago - it died back to the ground in winter and then resprouted the following spring). This little aloe is growing in the center of my covered 16 x 8 ft garden and buffered by larger cacti. There is no frost inside and no water given during the winter so all moisture is picked up by the roots alone so I think it has a chance.

9. Will B

Will B Active Member

I would recommend taking a pup off and having a backup, just in case it dies. Some of the nicer aloes are difficult to get again if you lose them... at least here on Vancouver Island. Might be easier in the mainland.

10. pmurphy

I was considering that as an option and can place a pot in the "winter plant room" in my basement, with 30 five-month old Opuntia ficus-indica seedlings......some of which I left in the garden as a winter experiment because I can't seem to confirm the hardiness of these (some sources say zone 8 and some say zone 9).

.....anyone interested in 3-4" Opuntia ficus-indica seedlings?

11. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

OK, the poll is up for 7 days. I hope you remember to let us know what happens with this.

12. pmurphy

I will let you know in the spring :)