Yacón seeds, how soon after blooming?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Sulev, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

I haven't found any information, how many days after beginning of blooming the seeds of a yacón should mature.
    It's the beginning of September now and time to expected night frosts is less than 30 days. Can those flowers, that are open now, produce seeds before the end of September? If not, I should probably remove these flowers, to maximize the tubers harvest. Still 20+ ºC outside, but soon it will be much colder.

2. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Ok, I found this information from the Cultivariable web, that it takes 3...4 weeks from the opening of the flower to mature seeds, or two weeks from when flower has no more live florets.
    My first yacón flowers are now 2 weeks old, I hope that they withstand our suddenly cooled weather some more weeks. Today early moning we had a heavy hail with 2 cm grains. Yacón leaves are like they have been in war now.

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I didn't know anything about this plant, found the Cultivariable page, which is certainly full of information. This is the link:
    Growing Yacon

4. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Thanks, that was the site, from where I found this information! Funny thing is, that I looked this site several times before, but didn't found this bit of information then.

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Yes, I meant that I was just providing the link to the page you'd mentioned. There is so much there, it's not surprising you'd miss something.