Please help! Apple seedling

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Belchior, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Belchior

Belchior New Member

Hi guys!
    Small disclaimer: english isn't my native language.

I decided to try and grow an apple tree, possibly as a bonsai. It doesn't really matter if it gives good apples or not, it's purely as a hobby.

So, the part where i really need your help:
    I did everything correctly, or so i think. The seed was in the fridge until it opened up and went to a small pot. Everything was fine so far, but after the shell fell of, it appears that the seedling is dying. The cotyledons started to go brown and shrinking.
    I know it could be a condition called damping off, but from my online research it isn't, because the small root and stem are ok, only the cotyledons are like that...
    Any idea what it could be? Or is it normal?
    It's my first time growing something from seed, so be gentle with me lol

I've been taking pictures every day, so you can see the progress of the problem
    Thank you in advance!

Edit: Photos are not in order, but i think you can understand the order

Attached Files:

2. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

I think, that your potting mix is maybe a way too wet. Most of the time it should look like the moisture level in your third or last picture, but not like the second, fourth or fifth picture.
    The potting mix could be more sandy also, for better aeration and drainage. It's often indicates poor soil aeration and damaged root system, if the cotyledons go brown so soon.

Eu acho que sua mistura de envasamento é talvez um pouco molhada. Na maioria das vezes, deve parecer o nível de umidade da terceira ou última foto, mas não da segunda, quarta ou quinta foto.
    A mistura de envasamento também pode ser mais arenosa, para melhor aeração e drenagem. Isso geralmente indica falta de aeração do solo e sistema radicular danificado, se os cotilédones ficarem marrons tão cedo.
    Então, como primeiro recurso, reduza a rega!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  3. Belchior

Belchior New Member

The seedling died today... But thank you anyway. I'll be doing another one. Hopefully it goes better!

Thank you