Acer 'Going Green': just marketing?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by emery, Sep 3, 2019.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone is growing this, I've seen it talked about recently somewhere.

I looked at it around the net, and just can't figure out why this is a cultivar. Green leaves, green stems, good fall colors. Sounds like many, many seedlings. And of course there are already green stemmed cultivars, e.g. 'Aoyagi'.

On the other hand it's clearly a good marketing name, and it's a trademarked plant so someone is making money off of it. Seems to be widely available.

I guess there's a red version also. 'Going Red' that is less omnipresent, but also seems banal apart from the name from what little I can find.

So can anyone give me the justification for why this/these were named? Thanks!

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi emery, we have been growing this one for about 20 years. It's not a special maple by any means but we picked it up cheap as many others have done in supermarkets. Older branches are not green, only new growth has the lime green appearance. The leaves are 5 -7 lobed and of medium size for a palmatum. Tbh if I didn't have this cultivar now I wouldn't buy one as there are now so many beautiful maples to buy.

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

That's interesting, I had no idea it had been around that long. Figured it as a recent innovation.

How tall has yours gotten? Maillot describes it as "weakly growing to around 6 ft". If it's weak and average, why select it? There has to be something somewhere! :)

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi, ours is 6ft tall, it does suffer from die back every year. I agree it is not a strong cultivar.

5. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

emery it doesn't set the garden on fire, but if you like green leaves then happy days , can't say i'm to impressed with the fall colours thats why i lifted mine into a container last year to see if it will be a bit more showy this year.

No where near the same quality or colours of Aoyagi as you say it makes you wonder why it was developed in the first place ? also i have heard there is a "going red" as well , now if all these nursery guys could come up with something which would be mind blowing and never seen before and not another generic green leaf and red/orange in the fall cultivar which are prevalent in their hundreds then they would be on to a winner , let me think what could that be now, a pure white dissectum maybe would certainly get my vote and money as well, we can dream can't we maybe somebody somewhere one day. who knows ???

6. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Question and answer (not in the right order) ?