Identification: Is this an artist conk?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Ucraicmeup, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Ucraicmeup

Ucraicmeup New Member

Is this an artist conk? I picked it in Ireland yesterday and wouldlike to make a tincture with it. As you will see I was scribbling on the back any help appreciated especially with preparing it, if it is one.
    Thanku!

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi Ucraicmeup,

Welcome to the forum!

Yes it is Ganoderma applanatum the Artists conk.
    Topside tells me that it is a bit on the old side, but the (hymenium) pore surface looks fairly fresh, so it, or parts of it, might still be fine for use.
    Suggest examining your chopped up bits to check for larvae or other inhabitants. Larvae are not problems per se "extra protein," but if there were too many of them, that can mean too many damaged areas exposed to bacteria/other fungi, and that can be problematic sometimes.

I have learned to (try to) avoid discussing edible/medicinal qualities & preparation on social media, but if you do some googling you will find all sorts of info and preparation advice.

Hope that is helpful,

3. Ucraicmeup

Ucraicmeup New Member

Thank you very much!! Very helpful, I didnt see any larvae but it has quite a strong smell almost initially like pvc but now more woody. Here it is chopped up. The part inside the tubberware is the top layer so quite a bit more woody.
    Thanks again.

Attached Files: