Problem with Emperor 1

Discussion in 'Maples' started by LoverOfMaples, Aug 27, 2019.

1. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Hi everyone. Im having a problem with my emperor 1. I notice this weird bark change about a weeks or so ago. Can someone possibly identify this and give advise how to treat? Im posting a few pic below.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi, I think it best if you look at the section on UBC on Verticullum Wilt and Fuscarium Wilt. The darkening of your branch is maybe the start of this disease occurring in your Emperor 1. If it is either then I'm afraid destroying it is the best option, (burning) especially if you have other maples closeby. The disease is spread in the soil.

3. LoverOfMaples

How do i find these sections?

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

On the search at the top right side, type Verticullum wilt. Also if you google it you will find info and photos, the latter may help you identify the problem. Over the forty years of buying maples we have now and again fallen foul to this disease. But early identification is important especially if you have a large collection planted in the ground and you do not want it to spread to others.

5. LoverOfMaples

Thanks a lot Acerholic. I guess im a little lucky that it is still in the nursery pot.

6. 0soyoung

0soyoung Rising Contributor

It is NOT VERTICILLIUM.

Verticillium clogs the xylem so water does not get to foliage above the point of entry, which is typically an area of damaged bark not far above the soil level. Furthermore, verticillium doesn't grow at high temperatures, so symptoms of it characteristically show up in spring, not summer.

The pictures are too dark and too out of focus to really see the nature of what seems to be just some cosmetic damage that has been freshly sprinkled with water.

7. LoverOfMaples

Osoyoung, the bark is the same color when it's dry. But i will surely take more pics.

0soyoung likes this.
  8. LoverOfMaples

Hopefully these pics are better. It hasnt seemed to have spread up or down since ive noticed it.

Attached Files:

9. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Blackening of Japanese maples in autumn tends to be bacterial blight (Pseudomonas).

10. LoverOfMaples

Can it survive this with special care? Should i keep it away from my other jms.

I was thinking if it survive the winter, air-layer the top and cut the effected top above the graft site to savage what i can.

11. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I think Ron is probably right. In any case, spraying with a copper mixture (Phyton27 in often recommended in the US) may help and wont hurt. I use copper very successfully against pseudomonas.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  12. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

13. LoverOfMaples

Update

The tree seem to doing fine as for as growth. It also grew well last year. I guess I can say it's doing better due to the bark isn't as black as it was last year. I will start back treating the tree with phyton 27 and see what happens from there.

Attached Files: