Crimson King

Discussion in 'Maples' started by dicky5ash, Aug 21, 2019.

1. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Just thought I’d share a pic of the new growth..terrible pic as you can’t see the huge luscious deep purple leaves that are above only new growth and bottom leaves..that some caterpillars have clearly munched on!!!

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Photo shows a plant that looks like a purple Norway maple and not a 'Crimson Queen' (Dissectum Group) Japanese maple - maybe you meant to type 'Crimson King'. Otherwise there is this one

Crimson Sunset® Maple

although I don't know if it is present in Britain.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    dicky5ash likes this.
  3. dicky5ash

You’re quite right it’s Crimson King..senior moment!

I notice this Mold on a few leaves..can you tell me how to get shot of it..could it spread to my P. Acers please

Attached Files:

4. Ron B

Many purple Norway maples here in my area mildew in summer also in later years, with 'Crimson Sentry' tending to be particularly bad. Other maples you have will not pick it up from the affected one(s), rather get it on their own due to being susceptible themselves - it being on the one won't cause others to get it, that wouldn't have otherwise. If you don't want to spray every year the easiest thing would be to simply dispense with those specific kinds that are prone to a bothersome degree.

dicky5ash likes this.
  5. dicky5ash

Thank you, I’ve not noticed it on that particular tree previously, only on a common maple that I found had seeded in my hedge that I decided to grow on.

6. Ron B

a common maple that I found had seeded in my hedge that I decided to grow on

If you are talking about the one shown here I suspected it was such. And in which case it will not be 'Crimson King', as it is an independent seedling rather than a clonal propagation of that selection. Even if it was a grafted clone its leaves being purple would not automatically make it an example of 'Crimson King' - there are other purple cultivars also.

7. dicky5ash

Ron, sorry we are at cross purposes..I was saying I’ve only ever seen Mildew on another common maple tree that I found in my hedge, now it’s on the Crimdon King..they are not near each other either..

8. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Field Maples (A. campestre) -- or as some like to say "Hedge Maples" right Ron? -- are particularly susceptible to gray mold. That's also true of the others in the section Platanoidea as well as section Acer series Monspessulana. I often see it on A. circinatum but rarely on palmatum.

'Crimson King' gets to be a big maple indeed. Happily mine doesn't get mildew. All of the sycamores are lousy with tar spot around now though.

9. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I've corrected the thread title for you

@ Ron - yes, we do have it in Britain (unfortunately!)

dicky5ash likes this.