Removal of Fasciated Growth

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by Junglekeeper, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

My Arabian jasmine (Jasminum sambac 'Grand Duke of Tuscany') regularly produces fasciated stems and sometimes fasciated flowers. Is removal of all such stems the recommended action, in general, for all plants whether growing indoors or outdoors?

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Bumping this as no one commented. I don't really know the answer, but assume most of these are plant growth errors due to a temporary stress or damage or something, so not likely to repeat if removed. I did find this article:
    Plants with abnormal growths: The interesting phenomenon of plant fasciation

The fact that you say it is occurring regularly to this plant makes one wonder what the actual cause of the fasciation is.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I have another Arabian jasmine, the species 'Maid of Orleans', that I grow and it does not develop fasciated growth. The two plants are next to each other and are cultivated in the same way. I've always wondered whether this trait is inherent with this particular cultivar; the plant's growth is otherwise healthy.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019