Wildflowers: Michigan wildflower ID

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by dvictor, Sep 6, 2015.

1. dvictor

dvictor Active Member

Could you help me identify this flower species?

The small flower in these photographs were taken at the end of August in Oakland County, Michigan.

Thank you for your help.

Attached Files:

2. Axel

Axel Active Member

Sagittaria sp.

3. dvictor

dvictor Active Member

Thank you, Axel.

Latifolia?

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Presumably you get to see these yearly. I just came across some taxonomic notes, if you can make any sense of them, which I can't do on my photos. From E-Flora BC Atlas Page
    1. Achenes with beaks extending at right angles to the body, the beaks 0.5-1.5 mm long; bracts of the inflorescences egg-shaped, rounded or hooded at the tips, 5-10 (15) mm long; mature male and female flower stalks of equal length.............Sagittaria latifolia

1. Achenes with beaks erect, the beaks 0.2-0.4 mm long; bracts of the inflorescences lanceolate, long-pointed at the tips, (5) 10-30 mm long; mature male flower stalks longer than the female flower stalks.................Sagittaria cuneata

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The bracts of the inflorescences are indeed egg-shaped, rounded or hooded at the tips (visible from the second photo), so indeed Sagittaria latifolia