What tree is this?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Chris1432, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Chris1432

Chris1432 New Member

First of all, I would like to say hi to everyone. I recently purchased a new home in Alberta. My wife seems to think this tree is a crack willow. It was planted by the past owners 3 years ago. My wife tells me that if it is in deed a crack willow, the root system is so invasive that it will break/crack our home foundation & possible our buried sewer lines. I personally have been in construction for 30 years & I have never heard and our see this issue. I really don't want to cut it down being that it's great privacy. I would really love some feedback.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

It is a willow, but it isn't Salix fragilis (leaves are different). Maybe Salix pentandra?

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Does look to have leaves like bay willow. Tree roots affecting foundations and sewers tends to involve the trees being pretty large, the foundations or lines being underbuilt (or already leaking, in the case of the latter) in the first place. However if your willow is right against the house it probably would be better to plant it out in the yard, farther away from the structure - over time it is going to get a lot bigger than it is now. Apart from involved aesthetic considerations if nothing else it's going to need room for the trunk to expand.