Maple Trees

Discussion in 'Maples' started by ericamaio, Aug 19, 2019.

1. ericamaio

ericamaio New Member

I have a maple tree that as started to drop it's leaves already. The leaves are a burnt orange in color. So we are wondering if the tree might be dying and if so how do we find out ourselves. We are located in Nova Scotia. I have included a picture although the light isn't very good.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi, although the photo of the leaves are a bit distant, they do appear well formed. Some Maples do start turning for Autumn earlier than others. If it has not been watered regularly then the stress will make it turn early. I think you will have to waite until the spring to see if all is well. You can now check branches for problems by scraping the bark with your thumb nail to see if there is green underneath. If there is then all should be fine. Just to let you know we water all our maples up until they drop their leaves. This ensures a good Autumn colour and a healthy tree.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Crown is very thin, most of the leaves undersized - something is definitely haywire.

4. ericamaio

ericamaio New Member

Thanks I will try checking the bark.