What type of plant hurt me?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Kaley, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Kaley

Kaley New Member

So recently I walked through plants that looked like Aloe Vera but were more prickly. I got pricked in two spots. One on the inside of my leg(below my knee) and it doesn't hurt at all. The other one is on the outside of the same leg(also below the knee; right leg). The one on the outside feels hard around the pricked spot, and I can't walk correctly with the amount of pain im feeling in that area. Does anyone know what plant I walked through and if it's poisonous?? (Also I walked through the plants this morning).

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

You're asking a lot here, when we have no description of the plants. Can you reply here with some photos (wear long pants)? See Attach photos and files.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Perhaps there's still some foreign material embedded in the wound.

Kaley likes this.
  4. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

It is worth seeing a doctor if the pain / infection persists. In addition to the potential irritation from contact with the plant part (poisonous or not), there are also the possibilities that it is lodged in the skin and/or it was coated with a substance that is additionally harmful (e.g., bacteria from bird feces).

I managed to get a blackberry thorn in the bottom of my foot once -- I thought I had it all pulled out, but there are times of the year when that particular spot on my foot just gets itchy. Clearly a little bit has been left behind (or it's psychosomatic...)

Kaley likes this.
  6. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

According to Web info, Aloe vera has soft thorns when young, and these turn hard and sharp in older plants. So, perhaps it is an Aloe; and, there are other species in this genus that have thorns.

Kaley likes this.