trident maple diagnosis?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by gnikoom, Aug 17, 2019.

1. gnikoom

gnikoom New Member

1st post rookie
    hello everyone, very interested in getting your feedback and help to rebound the health of a sad trident maple!
    I just received the tree 2 weeks ago, it seemed ok although I can’t say for sure if it came with anything from the nursery. they were all separated at first, I slip-repotted them together in an attempt to make it easier through the summer/fall/winter and individually pot them next spring. I removed some very tight wiring that he nursery had, it was cutting into them!
    haven’t added anything as they had some nursery fertilizer/soil when received. 02964DEA-0D7A-48F8-96F2-30ECB3D9F81D.jpeg
    can you see the images and tell me what’s happening with them? I really want them to be optimal for their first fall/winter with me!
    thank you, I appreciate your input!

gnikoom.

Attached Files:

2. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

I personally think, that you planted them too densely. But better let they overwinter this way, than yet another repotting right now.

These symptoms are probably indicating stress from repotting and from storage at different lighting, temperature and humidity conditions, than they used to be.
    Maybe spraying plant leaves once or twice a week would help.

3. gnikoom

gnikoom New Member

thank you, I did spray once with a soapy insecticide. i’ll cross my fingers and hope maybe someone notices something telling in the images.
    appreciated,
    gnikoom.

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

It has to be done more than once. Sulev suggested once or twice a week. I'm not sure for how long.

5. gnikoom

gnikoom New Member

thank you!

6. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

I did not notice any pests on your plant, but I can't see, what is happening under the leaves. Was there something, that urgently requested spraying with an insecticide?
    Indoor air tend to be too dry, therefore spraying leaves with water might help to relieve post repotting stress.
    If you repotted 2 weeks ago and there are no big planting mistakes, then these stress symptoms should not exacerbate any more and your trees should improve with each day now on.

7. gnikoom

gnikoom New Member

I did see ONE single insect in one leaf, nothing else (above and below leaves) so just to be safe I did spray.
    i’ll follow up with another spraying as I read above, and hope it was a just signs of stress? i’m surprised as it was just slip-repotting- but I guess that on top of the change of environment it was enough to stress the plant.
    p.s. the maples are outdoors, I apologize if I didn’t specify.
    thanks again,
    gnikoom.