Elephant Ears question

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by wendy leslie, Aug 7, 2019.

1. wendy leslie

wendy leslie New Member

I cannot say what specific elephant ear plants I have. They're new. Planted from the tubers (?). They are about 3 mo old. They are not right next to each other but in the same garden. I've read about the dryness - and they do get watered daily. Still, on some leaves, they have the brown or dried edges mentioned in a thread from years ago. My greater concern, however, is that the larger leaves have sort of brownish smudge-like looking sections on the backs of the leaves. I cannot see visible bugs or bug damage. I am on an island called Vieques, off the main island of Puerto Rico. I know this is a different environment but I'm hoping the elephant ear issue is definable. It's really hard to find help for garden questions here. Photos below:
    upload_2019-8-7_9-9-17.png

upload_2019-8-7_9-10-15.png

upload_2019-8-7_9-10-47.png

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2019
  2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  3. wendy leslie

wendy leslie New Member

Thanks...can't quite find the same issue but maybe someone will post after recognizing something familiar - thanks....

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Why is there water on the lower surface of the leaves?

5. wendy leslie

wendy leslie New Member

It does look a bit like water in the photos. It's not actually water but a brownish-tanish blotchy group of patches - some larger splotches - and some in more dot-like formation - on the underside of the leaves.

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

No, not the brown spots -- the water droplets! Are these being watered by sprinklers from underneath somehow?

7. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

Watering every day sounds ok in the hottest climates in containers that dry out every day, but watering every day in the ground sounds like way too much. I would expect some kind of leaf rot, like you have there.