What is happening to my Emerald Lace?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Luke’s Maples, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Hi all

I haven’t been paying too much attention to my Emerald Lace over the last few months, but whilst having a look around a few days ago I noticed this. It appears healthy and has been growing quite strongly, but for some reason it has lost a lot of its leaves. Could something be eating them or is it not well?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Luke, I don't think you have anything to worry about as I can see buds on the long stems. The very strong wind could have been a cause knocking the leaves off. Think it's going to look fine next Spring.

3. Luke’s Maples

Thanks. Yes I did see that and thought it may even put some new leaves out. It was very windy a couple of days ago. I did try and shelter them but there is a possibility that they could have been affected. Should I train these long branches in any way. I was just going to let it grow naturally as my other weeping dissectums have been staked to get some height. I would love to achieve a twisty interesting look.

Thanks

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Luke, I think natural is always best, but you can purchase bonsai wire and give it a look of it's own. It can be an interesting long term project, but don't delay as the branches will harden and it will be difficult to train. Or you can stake it to grow taller and let it drop. This can also be wonderful to look at in years to come. Another option is to cut all the new stems back close to a bud so that it produces more stems next year to give a thick cascading effect.

5. Luke’s Maples

Thanks. I may cut them back about halfway. I’m reluctant to do this as I’ll lose the end leaves and it always feels like a step backwards. These trees grow so slowly that it is quite painful undoing a season of new growth. However, I must think about how amazing it will look in 5-10 years if I prune and thicken it out.