Favorite upright small Japanese Maple?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by joeycannoli, Aug 7, 2019.

1. joeycannoli

joeycannoli New Member

Hi all,

Thanks for all the help in my other thread. I have an orangeola on order as the nursery didn’t quite have what I wanted. I am on to a similar spot in the backyard. Looking for a smaller upright JM that does not mature over 10 feet that can tolerate sun until about 2pm. Looking for another tree that will wow all year long. Did some research and have the following thoughts:

A.J. Autumn Moon
    AP Beni Maiko
    AP Orange Dream (although many mentioned this won’t hold up well to sun)
    AP Katsura

What do you all think? What others would you recommend?

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Joey, Orange dream is very sensitive to too much sun, Katsura is a lovely tree but will grow way above your height limits. We have a Beni Maiko in full sun all day and has always thrived in this location, it has wonderful spring and Summer colours that lasts all the way to Autumn 'when it glows'. Autumn Moon we have found is rather sensitive to afternoon sun, looking at your temps today of 31 degrees I don't think it will thrive in the position your thinking of. The rule of thumb is that the red maples tend to do better in the sun than other cultivars. We have Skeeters Broom which is a good strong upright red that looks good and stays red all year. Nothing to look at in Winter re branch habits but a good strong tree.

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

'Orange Dream' is not that small, nor particularly upright. I include a picture from last fall, I guess over 3m and not that old. It does burn in full sun, a different one is looking poorly now. 'Katsura' is better with sun but reaches 5m. It is sensitive to late spring frosts. 'Beni maiko' is generally expected to stay under 3m, and can be grown in full sun.
    IMG_4122_1.JPG
    'Autumn Moon' is so slow growing that it will probably never exceed 3m. And take a very long time to reach 2. But I think it's not fond of too much light. A very pretty maple but not the easiest. This picture from 15/6 this year.
    IMG_20190615_144942.jpg

AlainK likes this.
  4. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Hi Joey

I have only a handful of years experience growing Japanese Maples, but I have had a Beni Maiko for about 4 years. It is one of my favourites. Mine is quite bushy so doesn’t look particularly pretty through the winter, but all through Spring and Summer it pushes out these perfect, small, bright pink red leaves. As the seasons progress the leaves turn a bronze green which provides a nice contrast for the new bright growth. It is very slow growing, so you should have no problems with the size restriction.

I love my Katsura too, but grows much quicker so may not be an option. I have an Aureum and a Moonrise, which I think are quite similar to the Autumn Moon and they are much more sensitive to weather conditions. Probably wouldn’t deal well with too much Sun and heat. Acerholic mentioned Skeeters Broom. I do not have this but I do have a Shaina which I believe is similar. I have only had this since April this year but so far it has the brightest reds of any of my trees. It would likely stand up to the Sun too.

A tree I am fascinated with right now is Mikawa Yatsubusa. I do not have any experience with this so can not say how it will do in your given conditions but it is a sight to behold once mature.

All the very best with your decision and good choice with the Orangeola.

5. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Aratama
    Akita yatsubusa
    Beni hoshi.
    Bonfire
    Corallinum
    Hupp's Dwarf
    Japanese Princess
    Kamagata
    O'jishi
    Mikawa yatsubusa
    Pixie
    Ruby Stars
    Rhode Island red
    Sharp's Pygmy
    Shishigashira

6. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  7. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

In addition to my two post above, our Autumn Moon is 10-12' tall and doesn't have any intentions to slow down with 4"-6" of seasonal growth. It was 6' when we got it 12 years ago. With regular watering after planting it has no problem standing up to all day sun. The roots remain cool from near by hosta and a dwarf Holly. Grown in a container during the first season it got all day sun. It started to show some leaf damage when the temperature reached 100 and the heat index was 108. That was the only time we had any signs of stress.

A grower close by has them growing in container with all day sun, but they are on a drip system. Again, in the ground with regular watering (and good drainage) this cultivar should have no problem with sun exposure.

Sensu is a beautiful cultivar that stands up to extreme heat and sun. Never shows any leaf damage. It's slower growing, but I think in time with no pruning it could exceed 10'. Height restrictions on an upright tree are somewhat impossible when you consider a tree will always grow if kept healthy. They do tend to open up with age, so you can look through them rather than trying to keep it a certain height to see over it from a window inside the house. If you are willing to do regular maintenance pruning a few times a season throughout a trees life many Japanese maple cultivars can remain under 10'. The mistake people make is they let it go too long then butcher the tree back. To look good and be successful it must be a consistent commitment to regular maintenance, never slacking off, not even for a season from the first day planted.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    RedPhoenix likes this.
  8. Bill

Bill Active Member 10 Years

You might be better to choose a slow growing tree that can be pruned without hurting the form instead of a tree that tops out at a given height.

I'd nominate Shishigashira as such a candidate.