A.P Going Green

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Luke’s Maples, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Hi all

Does anybody know much about this? I saw a small one today at a superstore for £3 so i bought it. As far as I can tell the feature is the green bark which supposedly stands out in the winter. Perhaps it can live next to the Sango Kaku and Bi-hoo.

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi again Luke, Our Going Green is 25 years old and tbh the green bark doesn't stand out that much. We have found that this cultivar needs to be open. It does not do well as a lollipop as the inner branches die off. We have had ours as a table top over past few years but this also has not worked out well, so this Autumn we will prune to a more open tree. The Autumn colours are a wonderful Orange. Ours is next to Red Flash and in front of Katsura the contrast is just right for us. Going Green is a very ordinary tree in the Summer but after several years it becomes quite a favourite. Sango kaku and Bi-hoo are very fast growers so placement is important. The three different coloured barks together will make a lovely Winter interest.

3. Luke’s Maples

Thanks Acerholic. That is actually great to hear. I only picked it up because it was cheap, and it wasn’t on my list but you know how it is haha.

4. Luke’s Maples

Do you have any pics?

5. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Luke like your self i bought mine back in 2015 when they were very popular in large supermarkets etc , bought mine from Morrisons for £ 3.00 with some money off coupons which we had accumilated over weeks of shopping.

Put it in the ground for two years but noticed it was growing very quickly so it went into a container at the end of last year posted some pics of the tree at the begining of June this year.

Hoping to see some better colours this year , if you like green trees it's very pretty but very close to Aoyagi i find, but the leaves are larger and tend to have a yellow tinge to them. I beleive there is also a "Going Red"

Attached Files:

6. Luke’s Maples

Roebuk thanks. Yours looks great.

I just think you can’t go too far wrong for 3 quid.

This is mine.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.