Identification: Wonder if they are all Xanthoria polycarpa

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by David Tang, Apr 24, 2019.

1. David Tang

David Tang Active Member

While searching for lady beetle for my grand daughter at the backyard pear tree, found besides the orange yellow coloured Xanthoria polycarpa - Pincushion Sunburst, there are some similar in form, but different in colour and size (most like the head of a pin). Wonder if they are the same lichen in different stage of growth. Kindly have a look and enlighten me please.

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Whoops sorry David - I missed seeing this post! Yes in the first photo it seems very likely to be X. polycarpa, based on size, colour, features I can see and those I cannot.
    The other four photos are likely one of the Lecanoras, the Rim lichens, but there are enough species in that genus in this region with a potential substrate match, that I can't make a guess based on photo, even with the lovely clear close-ups you have provided.
    If you are asking about the yellow-green on the rim lichens - I'm not sure but it seems more algal to me. I also wonder if it could be a Lecanora photobiont perhaps.

3. David Tang

David Tang Active Member

Thanks your effort to solve my puzzles.
    I understand it's difficult to ID from pictures alone.
    I leave that for now as bird migration is on.