Advice please

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Luke’s Maples, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

And here are my newer acquisitions.

Mikawa Yatsubusa, Shigitatsu Sawa

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Your Mikawa Yatsubusa looks very healthy, a good purchase; the Shigitatsu Sawa is very similar to mine, ie burnt outer edges, I have found it a very difficult cultivar. Might be just our location, not sure tbh. We are on our third now and it will be the last if it does not survive. It is sensitive to sun ,wind and too much rain, (very precious) lol. But if you get it right then its wonderful. As you can see on previous post, I have ordered Beni Shigitatsu Sawa. Thought I would give it a try. Might try Aka cultivar if successful with Beni. Btw if you want to purchase from Lotta, you must fill out the pre order and send it to them soon. Well worth it as they have hundreds of cultivars that you will not find anywhere in the uk. I would also love to oder a couple from Buckholtz, but they don't supply to anybody outside the US. Perhaps one day!!!!!

3. Luke’s Maples

And a couple of my newer acquisitions -

A wonky Shishigashira, Suminigashi, Enkan and a Jerre Schwartz.

Attached Files:

4. Luke’s Maples

Thanks Acerholic. I will look at ordering the Hogyoku from Lotta I think. I love the Esk Sunset too

5. Luke’s Maples

Forgot to include the Firecracker and Moonrise

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

Like your Shishigashira( I have this one) and Jerry Shwartz that I do not have. Suminagashi is a really interesting maple that I also have not got in my collection along with Enkan. That is the fantastic thing about this site and the Maple Society, 'so much knowledge' and wonderful photos to share from collections all over the world. I have only been a member this year, as although growing maples for forty years plus have only joined due to having more time now that we are recently retired. Every day is a learning day and the UBC is such a great help. Over the years I have realised its a gardeners right of passage to kill a few plants along the way, but to learn from his or hers mistakes. The UBC now helps to avoid the mistakes.

7. Luke’s Maples

I am quite new to this really. Been interested for only a few years but I absolutely love it. This forum is incredible and even in the last 6 months or so I feel like I have learned a lot.

Talking of which.. What should I do about my “drunk” Shishigashira? Lol

8. Acerholic

Don't do anything, we actually like character to maples in shape and form, so many you see are lollipops. If you want to see beautiful shapes have a look at volunteer gardener with Troy Marden on YouTube from 4 years ago. Judge Jody and his wife show you round their wonderful maple garden in the US. It shows all shapes and sizes. Only 9 minutes long.

9. Luke’s Maples

Wow.. what an amazing garden. When my kids have grown up I will look at creating a proper garden to plant some of my trees. Right now though they use the lawn area to play. How very selfish of them haha

10. Luke’s Maples

I have just been going through your list again, searching for pics. They are stunning. I would have them all! I have added Mikazuki, Alpenweiss and Pink Filigree Lace to my list. Oh dear.. I don’t know whether to thank you or disconnect my internet connection. Dangerous.

11. Luke’s Maples

Am I right in thinking Alpenweiss is very similar to Ikandi and Higasayama?

12. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Find a nice semi shady spot in your garden plant it out and watch it grow in to a thing of beauty , to get the full effect of this cultivar it needs to be in the ground!! In the middle of November when all your other trees are just a memory this will be in it's element and showing you a wonderful golden red fire these take some beating for fall colours.

13. Luke’s Maples

Thanks Roebuk. I’m looking forward to seeing the colours. I have seen pics on the internet that are simply stunning, which is how it ended up on my “wanted” list.

Forgive my ignorance, but will planting in a large container imitate ground planting?

14. ROEBUK

Luke what you will find is any tree/shrub will grow in a container but what you must try and realise is that some trees have such a fantastic architectural structure to them that they need to be in the ground for you to fully appreciate how they will turn out in years to come. Shishigashira falls into this catergory big time , this tree you just plant and forget you don't have to do any work on it no pruning it just grows into a perfect shape over the years and the colours are just dazzling in the fall.

Added some pics of mine when first planted out in 2010 just like yours at a similar size and some pics from 2017 when it's at a mature size and still growing , well over nine foot now and a bit more wider now as well!!

I also have one in a container as well but this is the smaller male version of this cultivar ( Ojishi ) the dwarf version of shishigashira again had this one years and this as hardly grown all the time i have had it , was in the ground for years but just coludn't get the colour right in the fall now it's in a container and last year it looked fantastic note it's counterpart in the background just starting to turn.

What you will find over the coming years the more you have in containers the more work is required on them as they mature , regular root pruning and re plenishing of the growing medium every 3/4 years depending on the cultivar , i have just recently disposed of a number of trees which were in containers over 40 ltrs, firstly they were taking up to much space and secondly the cost of re filling these large containers can be quite expensive and time consuming when you have 10 or 20 etc.

What i find now is i really cut back and prune hard in the fall with all my ground trees and the ocassional container tree which hasn't read the rule book re growth in my garden , and all mine are flourishing just fine in fact they are just growing and growing and at this present time are just pushing out amazing second flush growths , mind you we certainly have had some rain these past few days up't north :)

Attached Files:

AlainK and emery like this.
  15. Luke’s Maples

Absolutely breathtaking. I’m lost for words. That second picture is amazing. I think I should create a permanent space in my garden for it to live!

16. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Ah, "Yorkie" in with the eye candy -- or should I say 'Ikandi'? as our favorite nurseryman expertly named one of his maples... :)

My question is, how can 'Ojishi' be the "male cultivar", when these are monoecious (having both sexed flowers) trees?

I sure agree about putting 'Shishigashira' in the ground, mine started as a liner and I never touched it, no pruning at all. Here it is last autumn. Sorry can't resist sharing more eyecandy. -E
    IMG_4150_1.JPG IMG_4151_1.JPG IMG_4155_1.JPG IMG_4156_1.JPG

AlainK and ROEBUK like this.
  17. ROEBUK

emery no good asking me (think it's just in the wordings of the two cultivars) i just dig holes throw trees in and watch them grow cut em back and watch them grow even more , but i feel sure some one will put you right .

Luke you seriously need to think about planting this one out ? think yours looks to have good potential and will take well plus it will look great in years to come.

Yorkshire day tomorrow !!!! get thee sen darn pub lad t'll be al reet in't end tha nos :) :) - M

18. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I keep a list of all the cultivars and I have and seeing your post I thought I’d total up and it’s 170 different cultivars with 2 and 3 of certain favourites.
    I brought around 20 from Lotta plants earlier this year and I’d recommend them as all were healthy, well packaged and harder to find Maples.

19. ROEBUK

jaybee63 was impressed with the "milligan"pics you posted recently , liked the look of them so much i acctually purchased two from Barthelamys where you bought yours, first time i have ever bought plants online always like to see what i buy before hand but a 600 mile round trip didn't appeal to me so i bit the bullet and i am very impressed with the two healthy plants they sent me (see pic) this was a few weeks back now and they coping nicely in their new enviroment out of a poly tunnel and into the harsh wet cold climate of northern england :)

Will be planting out shortly have a nice quiet shady spot for them , so in a few of years hope to see some nice colours.

Attached Files:

20. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I'm afraid I've heard from a reliable source -- if only I could remember who! -- that Dick is no longer working with retail. I don't know if that starts after this season, or includes it. -E

21. Acerholic

Lotta have informed me that they no longer sell maples. So it does appear that Dick van der maat no longer supplies to retailers. Such a shame as the quality of the trees and packaging was excellent.