grapes seem not healthy and strong

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by Many_figstree, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Many_figstree

Many_figstree Member

there is a layer of white thing surround the grapes.
    and the grapes seems small and not healthy in fall time.
    any suggetions?
    thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The grapes look normal at this stage to me. I see the normal waxy bloom that forms on the fruit. It is a natural protective layer. As to the grapes producing small fruit, it might depend on various things. How old are the vines? Do they produce small fruit every year? Is is actually ripening? They look to be developing well for this early summer time, assuming those photos are recent. Are these pictures from last fall?

3. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

What dark spots there are on the leaves, especially on the first photo? Is it mold or is it normal coloration of that variety?

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

It would be good to know the variety of the grapes in the photos. I'm not familiar with wine grapes, but I am growing 5 varieties of mostly seedless dessert grapes. They show only a barely visible bloom as described by Eric. That bloom is not nearly as conspicuous or as variable as the white colour in the photos, which looks a lot like powdery mildew.

5. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

I think, that this is not the best spot for this grape, because it won't get as much sun, as it likes, because of the shade from the plum tree. When grapes are ripening, they like to be exposed to the sun and some wind, to avoid mold and mildew.

6. Many_figstree

Many_figstree Member

yes, after some research, I found out it is grape powdery mildew. not easy to grow good table grapes LOL