Where are the cherries?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Jeanette Morrison, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Jeanette Morrison

Jeanette Morrison Member

Has anyone an answer as to why there are no cherries in Tsawwassen, Ladner, Westam Island?
    This is the first year I have not seen a single cherry in any of the trees. There were blossoms and bees but no pits, no cherries! The birds have not eaten them. There simply have been no cherries.

2. Joan L NW

Joan L NW Member

Interesting, I'm seeing all kinds of sour cherries along the road allowance on River Road in Richmond now. I had to chop down my cherry tree last year as it was planted far too close to the house and had heaved the sidewalk against the house's foundation. I barely had any sweet cherries last year but there were plenty of sour cherries along River Road then too.

3. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

The cherry crop in northwest Burnaby is also very poor this year. I have some sweet and sour cherries but nothing like the usual crop; my other stone fruits, peaches and plums, have a better than usual crop. I'm not sure why the cherry crop is so bad; but I think there must have been some cold, wet weather during the critical period for pollination.