Gariguette strawberries anyone?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by jacob collens, Jun 23, 2019.

1. jacob collens

jacob collens New Member

Trying to get my hands on some Gariguette stock, I live in BC. If I did happen to find it stateside does anyone know the legality of transporting plants like this across the border?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

4. jacob collens

jacob collens New Member

Haha I've read that post previously but kept looking. I'm beginning to suspect there is no official supply in north america. Maybe if I have a friend coming back from the UK or france I'll dive deeper into the AIRS stuff.

5. buzzinga

buzzinga Member

Here is an article referencing Gariguettes at the Union Market in NY. Here’s Why French Strawberries Are So Good

Someone a couple posts up mentioned Gariguettes are being replaced by Mara des Bois. Thats factually false. You're quoting someone who posted an off the fly comment in the link you provided. Gariguettes are not only a grocery staple in France but of a high delicacy value. A Youtube video indicated they're hand picked and meticulously placed during packaging.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  6. buzzinga

buzzinga Member

If anyones interested in growing Gariguette you can order seeds off Ebay. I sprinkled 500 in a 10 inch diameter planter and they're sprouting.