Unique Maple???

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Snyder, May 29, 2019.

1. Snyder

Snyder New Member

Came across this Maple(Sugar???) at the new subdivision I am working at. The tree was obviously there before construction began 3 years ago as its around 15ft tall and in between 2 other larger trees. Is its colour any thing special?(only my 2nd year being interested in trees) Should mention it was this colour all last summer aswell. I like it regardless. Could anyone point me in the direction of good instructions for growing Maples from cuttings? Would like to see if I could grow a couple of these at my house.

Attached Files:

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I think it's likely you have a Norway maple there, Acer platanoides. Break a petiole (leaf stalk) and see if you can observe a white latex liquid seeping out; that will be the confirmation.

There are many brown-to-red examples of this species, and it is widely planted and invasive in much of North America. So it's a nice tree but perhaps nothing special, at least if I'm right about what it is.

If you wanted to propagate it, you would need to graft. I don't think they can easily be grown from cuttings. -E

3. Snyder

Snyder New Member

There was white liquid so a Norway. Thanks for the help.

4. Michigander

Michigander Active Member

One might guess it's a Acer platanoides 'Schwedler'.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

'Schwedleri' is rich purple at first.