Potting containers and correct soil

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Luke’s Maples, May 29, 2019.

1. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

I have a couple of 6 ft Maples out the front of my house in ceramic pots that they have pretty much out grown. An Emporer and an Osakazuki. They are my favourites! I am thinking of putting them in matching half barrel planters of a decent size to give the roots a bit more room. Firstly, does anyone have any bad experiences using these? Secondly I’m thinking about the potting mix. I was going to use peat or ericaceous compost, bark and grit. I’ll maybe add some Rootgrow and slow release fertilizer too. I have looked at peat and the most readily available form seems to be Irish Moss Peat. Is this the right stuff?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Have been using these three items in the pictures for years at a ratio of 60% peat , 30% J Innes 3 and 10% chips , no problems either in containers or in the ground works for my trees that's all i can say.

Attached Files:

3. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Thanks - that’s reassuring to know. I have some John Inness 2 which I hear Maples like. What is the difference between 2 and 3?

Thanks

4. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

3 has more fertiliser so better for “mature” plants that will spend a long time in the pot.
    I use 3, but split 50/50 with pine bark or composted pine bark

5. Jaybee63

I buy a lot from Barthelemys and they use peat but I find it hard to find. They did tell me they are probably going to go peat free.

6. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Luke, I would buy a bag of no3 for the two you have in the front garden, if you are going to repot them. They are mature enough trees for no3. I do use a little more grit and pearlite or bark with no 3 as it's a little claggy.

7. ROEBUK

8. ROEBUK

Around six years ago there was only one supplier in my area where i could buy peat from 30 mile round trip , all the other garden centres diy stores etc had stopped selling peat ( not good for the enviroment) was the reason i was always given for not stocking.
    Come forward to present day most of the garden centres are now re stocking peat, so many gardeners complaining over the years but i must admit B&Q are still not stocking (not in west yorks)

9. Jaybee63

I’d add peat if I could find it and will be taking another look.
    I used to use it years ago, it holds moisture well but doesn’t become saturated and as long as you don’t let it dry out, there’s no problem. Even then, it just a case a submerging the pot in a Bucket of water