British Columbia: Spring Swap - Greater Vancouver Area

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Plant Swaps and Meetups' started by heather2, Mar 9, 2006.

1. heather2

heather2 Member

but everyone welcome!

A spring plant swap will be held on Saturday, April 22 in North Vancouver for anyone on this forum who would like to join in.
    How it works:
    Everyone please post what plants, seedlings, etc you have to trade. Confirmed trades will be agreed on between interested parties, but you are welcome to bring any extra plants with you on the date for impromptu trading as well.
    All location information, etc will be provided off-site through email.
    What do you have to trade?

Heather

2. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Hey Heather2
    I plan to be there, you know who willing ! I'm going to try to post my list of current seedlings on a word file. I'll post later with a list of divisions from the garden when and if they appear again.

Attached Files:

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Is this for indoor or outdoor plants, or both?

4. heather2

heather2 Member

Any trades are welcome, although I suspect that most of the plants offered will be garden varieties. What do you have? What are you looking for?

5. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Both - you can offer other non-plant garden related items as well.

6. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Well I can't pretend to be as organized (nor to have such a copious supply) as BCGift, but I know I will have some well-rooted cuttings of Hydrangea quercifolia and Dichroa febrifuga, some divisions of Hosta Summer Fragrance, some baby quince trees (Cydonia, the fruiting quince) that I started from seed (so I don't know whether they will bear fruit similar to the original), and one whole pot of Ranunculus ficaria "Brazen Hussy". There will be more as plants show me some proof they're alive.

Among the things I am looking for are tomato or maybe other vegetable seedlings, and a little piece of Sedum "Mörchen".

7. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Thanks but I think I'll sit this one out and observe what happens.

8. oscar

oscar Active Member

Sounds like great fun :) shame i live so very far away :( i'd definately trade a tomato for a Brazen hussy :D

9. Gardenfever

Gardenfever Active Member

Foundya!

I'll be there most likely.

My seed box is bursting at the seams so will start a bunch of stuff soon. So far I've decided to sow the following if anyone's interested please let me know so I can sow more:

Tomato:
    sweet million
    Black Krim
    Classica
    Pendulina
    Cherokee purple
    Stupice
    Sub ARctic Maxi
    Cherry Sweetie
    Eggplant:
    Ichiban Dusky
    Fairy Tale
    Asian bride
    Charming
    Farmer's Long
    Red long
    Bianco Ovale - this one has a catch though; I'd like people to save seeds and pass it out to others. The person that gave the seeds to me says it's very good but hard to find.
    Pepper:
    Grand Bell
    Jingle Bells
    Fish - variegated
    yellow hot wax
    hungarian sweet banana
    Cayenne
    Jalapeno
    Bulgarian carrot
    Flowers:
    Bells of Ireland
    Mattiola night scented stocks
    Double purple datura
    Talinum paniculatum
    Phygelius Aequalis

If/when Rene gets here. I bought some Black Krim today. That's the one you were asking about last fall right when I ran out? Anyway, I'll start a couple for ya.

I'll be out this week taking some rose cuttings. They will be the repeat bloomers as the OGRs shouldn't be pruned until after their flower. Does anyone have a particular rose they desire? Who knows I may have it. I might do up a list next week when they are stuck.

Karen.

10. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Oscar - it is great fun and as one of the gals say, it's nice to talk plants with friends who's eyes don't glaze over. We'll miss you, but if you ever decide to cross the
    ocean !

Hi GF
    As usual, I'm suffering from seeding burn out now so please put me down for Black Krim, Cherokee Purple and the Bianco Ovale (I promise to ...), and double Purple Datura.

Did you get the pond done yet ?
    Belinda

11. Gardenfever

Hi Belinda!

Ok, gotcha down for those you requested. About the Bianco ovale, I don't think it's available in commerce anymore. I've only found it mentioned at the Canadian seed bank.

Did you seed the coral reef poppy? If not then don't worry about.

No, I haven't gotten the pond done yet. The back pain from the car acccident last January took forever to ease away. Then winter came. My lower back actually still hurts but am learning to live with it now. This year it will be done - pain or no pain!!!!

Karen.

12. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

GF
    Yes I got Coral Reef, it's a real beauty.

13. Gardenfever

Do you have an extra one to spare for me?

14. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

GF - yes I got plenty to spare. That list is not a list of seed, it's a list of plants
    already on the go. I only list them after I transplant them into the old styrofoam
    cups.

15. westcoastgarden

westcoastgarden Active Member

Hi everyone!

Same as Karin - I will post when I can tell what has survived this up and down winter.

I know I have lots of pink/yellow honeysuckle (in picture below with a clematis which I don't have for trade) and a dark red peony. Some siberian iris seedlings - colour unknown (I am also thinking of digging up the blue one in the pic below if anyone is interested in a division). Some deep orange oriental poppies (in picture below with "Hot Chocolate" rose which I am also willing to trade - the whole plant - perhaps for another rose? or a rhodo or something like that).

I am also starting a bunch of seeds but will post a list when I know they are growing. My first attempts were not all that successful save for the impatiens and I have use for all of those.

Karen - how were your "fish" peppers last year? The one you gave me did not do well. I planted it in a large pot in full sun but it languished and didn't grow more than about four inches. I wonder if it was just the lack of heat last summer.

BC Gift - can I reserve a Heuchera "emperor's cloak" until I have my lists up?

Karen - would you mind starting a Sub Arctic Maxi tomato and a Jingle Bells pepper for me?

Thanks,

WCG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  16. Gardenfever

Hi WCG,

My fish peppers did not do well for me etiher. However, I'm not really blaming them. I had a HORDE of slugs congregate at my place. They loitered and graffitied (with their slime) over much of my seedlings last year and wiped out my fish peppers entirely. So alas, I will try it again this year.

Did you wait to put out the peppers? I think it was too chilly last year especially around the time of our swap. They probably got stunted. I'm not sure though we'll just have to try them out again. I'll start a bunch more this year - I'll put your name on one of them. I'll also start a Sub Arctic Maxi and a Jingle Bells for you. I'll divide my purple sedum - can't remember the name right now - when/if it show signs of life. When should that be do you or anyone know?

17. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Hey my Fish pepper was a shrimp last year as well.

GF: The sedum should start putting out new shoots in the Fall, or at least mine do.
    Have you by any chance been in touch with Leaf and Helen. Hope they're able to make it this time.

WCG: Got you down for Emperor's Cloak and Lady in Red fern. Was there anything else from our previous natterings ?

18. Gardenfever

Belinda do you want another go at the fish pepper? I'll start another one for you as well. I just think it has such potential as an ornamental as well since it's variegated. Let me know. :o)

I poked around the sedum earlier and found some knobby things at the base of the emaciated stems.

I just sent and email to Helen and Michele. Cecilia's email bounced but I'm sure helen will forward it on.

Karen

19. Helen Leung

Helen Leung Active Member 10 Years

Thanks Karen for letting us know about the trade. I haven't been doing any gardening at all. Yesterday was the first time I've been out in the garden since last August. I don't know if I'll be doing any seeding this year but keep everyone posted.

Thanks Helen

20. KarinL

Karen I would take you up on one of those tomatoes; maybe Black Krim too if you have enough (just the name is intriguing, though I have also enjoyed the tomato) but I'm not really fussy. A cherry would be nice otherwise.

I have a few things to add to my list of plants available:

First, a fairly hefty Viburnum Pink Dawn that has been surplused by our recent yard make-over.

Then, a goodly number of snowdrops - basic Galanthus. I understand these are best planted while still green, and green they are.

In the perennial department, I have Bergenia 'Baby Doll (green leaves, pale pink flowers),'Filipendula rubra, Francoa sonchifolia, and Epimedium 'Frohenleiten.'

And if anyone is hosta-hunting, I have a lot that could be divided upon request.

21. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Karen
    Okay would love to try the Fish pepper again.

Hi Helen
    Hope you can make it.

KarenL
    Would like the pale pink Bergenia - it's about time they came up with a good colour.
    Also need your advice on how to divide that Lady in Red fern for WCG. Should I do
    it now while dormant or should I wait till something comes up ??

22. KarinL

BCGift, I'll put aside a piece of the Bergenia for you, and will start perusing your lists! For the fern, it is probably best to wait till you see some action from it.

23. Gardenfever

typing on a dam pda right now. so irritating. excuse the lack of caps.

karinl, i'll start a black krim and a sweet million for u.

bcgift, i'll start another fish 4 u too. did u guys by chance wait until june to put them out last year? if any earlier then peppers would most likely be stunted by the night time temps. well,hopefully we'll all have more luck this year.

later, k.

24. Magua

Magua Member

Hi, all,

Sorry I haven't said much lately. I've been partly busy, and partly trying to figure out what I have to trade and what I will have to trade, including what I can transplant and what I can't yet. The garden stuff had been a little weird lately. This is what I may be able to trade so far. Remember, they are all seedlings so far:

Trillium grandiflorum (a few)
    Lilium (martagon?!? - forgot to write which was which)
    Penstemon (I believe one of them is confertus, another is barbatus, and maybe one or two californicus)
    Some chives (that's what my MIL told me the parent plants were, anyway)
    Arum italicum marmoratum and maculatum
    Probably one or two androsaces from a mix
    A few odds and ends (campanulas, aquilegias, etc. probably) I still nned to sort out because I thought they were dead plants. Whoops.

Anyway, I'll come up with a better list later. Most of my wintersowing (which I started late) have been too stubborn to germinate yet.

And GF, thanks, the Black Krim would be appreciated! Not sure what you would like from my meagre list so far, though.

Stay tuned!

Rene

25. cathianp

cathianp Member

I unfortunatly can not make the meet again this year. I am in the lower end of the valley and this time of year is just hectic.
    I have several Brugmansia, large assortment of Canna's many different Semps (named) a few ensettes vent. some different gingers for trade.
    If anyone visits this end of the valley and is intrested give me a mail.
    Good luck on your swap, Vanguard rocks!

Ian